1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition issues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Twobass, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    I auditioned for a band a few days ago and it went ok I guess. The band has a good web site and they look like they have things in order. The issue is that something just felt off, they were good players and I felt that I did a good job. I know they were trying out other players, but I just felt like I wasn't going to get the gig anyway, and to be honest I really didn't want it. So after a few days of not hearing anything, I just told them thanks but I don't think I would work out. Has anyone ever felt like this at an audition?

2. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I've felt that way, but I wouldn't have said no until the band had made its decision. It's not like you did the wrong thing, but once I've auditioned, the next move is up to the band in my way of thinking.

Once, after an audition I didn't hear back from the band leader until about 3 months later. I suddenly got a text from a guy that they were having a rehearsal the next day.

THEN I said no.

3. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Yep, what Klokker said.

Just do the audition, leave, and let the band decide. Meanwhile, keep auditioning. You might find something way better.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I respectfully disagree with those who say wait for the band to decide. If you think you don't want the job, then tell them immediately. Think if the shoe were on the other foot: You've auditioned three singers; Jane sang the best, so you call Deb and Sarah and say thanks but no thanks. Then you call Jane with the good news, and she declines the offer. How would that make you feel? Now (if you have no self-respect at all) you have to go back to the better of the two losers and tell her you've changed your mind and would she please come back. Unprofessional, don't you think? A lack of communication never did anybody any good.

I always, ALWAYS email back after an audition if I don't think the band's right for me. It can be done with tact. The pros understand and are almost always gracious about it. The super-egos or the fragile egos, on the other hand, will get their panties in a twist, and send you either a flamethrower reply or (more frequently, in my experience) no reply at all. But that's their cross to bear, not mine.

5. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Hm, I recently met a guy who plays drums and guitar. Saw him drum once and he definitely has skills. We talked about maybe starting something (as I guess is common for musicians) and recently he said, I got a singer and guitarist lined up. Let's get together.

Initially the set list really, really excited me. Until I started learning the tunes. And then I started thinking: between work and my other band, there'd be hardly any time left for this band. And I don't like the tunes ...

So I mailed him to say I am bailing. Sent him 2 links of bass players looking for a band in his region and contacted a third one that I know, and of whom I know she will be interested.

Do I feel good about it? Heck no! Shoulda thought before I got into this whole mess. But right now I am trying to make the best of it ...

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Having done the audition thing the last 2 years, some things click, some don't. It's much chemistry.

7. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Yea I think that I did the right thing, like I said something felt a little off about the audition.

8. CerealKiller

CerealKiller

Jul 29, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    Auditioning is a two-way street. If you didn't feel it, you are definitely not obligated to join.

And yeah, funny how you don't hear from people until they want you to play that day. :meh:

Had a group contact me on CL and set up an audition, only to push it back a week. Then I get a call the day before saying their guitarist is going to play bass and I won't be auditioning. Weeks later I get a call on the day of their normal rehearsal saying their bassist flaked out (was actually his neighbor). Said thanks, but not thanks (thinking to myself that you should have at least auditioned me, then decided).

9. do this next time, call them tell em your still audtioningfor other bands....do they have an answer on if you are in or not?...if not dont sweat it, keep looking

10. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I think when you turn up to the audition, there are really two auditions happening at the same time. The band's auditioning you, but you are also auditioning the band. If something doesn't feel right during the audition, then it's a good sign to say no to the band. It's not great being in a band when you don't feel right about the music or whatnot, and then you realise a few months down the track that the band is really not working for you.

I've had that experience before auditioning with another band. They were nice people but I knew their music wasn't for me.

11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    Went to an audition recently, actually went twice. Same story as above, song list was interesting, then realized the time involved. Never gelled with anybody, hard to catch a groove. Got out as fast as possible.

Have another audition tomorrow, another next week. Wish me luck...

wraub

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    If you didn't feel right about the band members what you did was fine .

I have went to auditions where I should have left as soon as the BL opened his mouth.

13. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    If it doesn't feel right for you it doesn't feel right and to me you're obliged to opt out asap so they know where they stand. If a guy I audition isn't a fit I would tell him right then and there so he can move on. I would get annoyed as hell if someone I auditioned who I thought might be a prospect strung me along for awhile and then said he doesn't think it will work for him. A playing pro would never do that.

I do some pickup work as a bassist and a couple of months ago I did two gigs for some guys as a replacement for there usual bassist and I knew after the second that it would only come together if we made a few changes. The drummer agreed wholeheartedly but the guitarist said he couldn't when what he really meant was he wouldn't. So I stopped the rehearsal at that point and opted out. If it's not gonna work for you it's not gonna work for them either and you need to tell them that.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    It would help if you could be more articulate about what bothered you. Seems to me that you're making up stuff in your mind and then acting as if its reality. :atoz:

You have no basis on which to draw that conclusion.

Maybe you were just uncomfortable being put on the spot? Sometimes anxiety rears its ugly head that way. Then you got more anxiety after a few day and took yourself out of the running by quitting before a decision was even made.:atoz:

Now you'll never know how it turned out AND you feel better about yourself since you reduced your anxiety level by lownering them. :atoz:

In addition, you really needed to clarify with them as to when they would be making a decision and other business issues.

Here are a few TB links on auditioning that you may want to check out:
    1 Auditioning for new band

Getting back in the game

Red flag stories
    Hilarious/Bizarre audition stories
    "Never got to audition"
    Audition didn't go as planned

15. Twobass

Twobass

Aug 12, 2009
    Well first off there was no anxiety, after a closer look at the set list I didn't feel it was as good as I thought it was. Also the audition wasn't that great on both sides they were rusty and so was I. I just wasn't feeling it and I don't feel bad about telling them I'm not interested. They will find someone who is interested. I've auditioned for many bands and I can say that this is the first time that something didn't feel right. So like I said I made the decision that I didn't think it was a good fit.

16. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    No one is talking about stringing someone along. If I audition and they say they'll get back to me, I'll wait until they call to give them my reply. That isn't stringing anyone along, or unprofessional.

The ball is in their court after an audition. I find my immediate reactions are often false. With my current band, after I was accepted I told them I'd sit on it for a day before I gave them my reply. That isn't stringing anyone along either.

I like to let things perk a bit before I make a decision.

17. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    ^^^^ Huh? I read this three times & still can't make sense of it.

18. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Perhaps Pierce2100 used google translate...

Or

It's an anagram which, if solved, reveals the location of the Holy Grail

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ... have gone ...

20. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    I call Jane first to see what she says. If she declines, I still have the opportunity to call the other two without looking like a tool. ;)

I get what you are saying though, and I don't think the OP did anything other than extend those guys the courtesy. Had they still been considering him, I'm sure they appreciated the opportunity to move on. If they were dicks who had moved on without the courtesy of a reply, so what.