1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

audition question.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by JeffTheBig, Dec 29, 2006.

1. i have a audition coming up for a band. here is the thing... i have bin playing with with the same guys for a long time now and the jams have gotten kinda stale {we only cover DP. Zapplin, S.R.V and bands like that/not that i dont like that i really enjoy the music\}. i have bin intrested in trying for new things. the only audition i can find in my area is for a metallica/punkish band. i played in a metallica cover band for 2 years when i first started playing bass and am not really intrested in playing that style of music anymore but i feel like i could use the change. What do u guys think? should i do the audition?

Jeff

2. I personally wouldn't audition for a band on the reasoning that I just needed a change of scenery so to speak, especially if it's a genre you're not into anymore.

There's a lot of risk in letting that band down if you do change your mind down the track and they've booked gigs etc...and if there aren't many opportunities in your area to find band mates, you might burn some bridges without knowing it when they tell their muso mates about you before you meet them.

If I were in your position, I would keep jamming with the usual friends and starting looking to form my own band.

That way, if I do decide to change musical direction later, the members that chose to join my band can choose whether to stay or not.

3. If you have a friend that plays guitar and a friend who plays drums, start your own band. Dont bother with doing only cover songs just play whatever style you like and write a few songs. Try mixing your two favorite genres, like maybe punk+ country or whatever, just have fun.