1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition Story

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by instrumentalist, May 22, 2018.

1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    @instrumentalist, did the band give you more to work on, or refine what you learned for the audition?

2. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Who else came here, ready to read a hilarious horror story?

Just me?

;)

Congrats to the OP! Sounds like a good fit!

instrumentalist likes this.
  3. The same five songs, and two more. They just sent the links, I haven't listened yet.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Hit it... time to practice...

5. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia
    Sounds like a standart way, i think - try out.

6. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Finally an audition story with a happy ending! Awsome!
    Congrats, keep up the good work!!

7. Tonight I intend to play through my own combo instead of the one provided.
    Background info: the room where the audition took place is where the band rehearses. They rent this room from an organization that has these rooms in several places across town. Every room has two guitar combos, a 115 bass combo, a five piece drumkit and a pa with two mikes. The band used the equipment provided.

I'm not sure what combo I actually played over last week, but I remember the sound as muddy. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the combo, I probably just have to learn to use it. Besides, the muddiness I perceived may not be just me.

However, I feel I'll already have a lot of things that need my attention. People I'm not familiar with, music I'm not familiar with, finding out how to work together (never my forte), playing that bass.... So I've decided to postpone fiddling with that combo until I am accepted into the band. Tomorrow I'll bring my own combo that I'm familiar with.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    Oddly likes this.
  8. Really looking forward to tonight.
    :hyper:

Oddly likes this.
  9. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Have fun tonight! I hope it goes well...good thinking on bringing your own combo. One less thing to worry about is always good.

A couple of other things I've found invaluable in almost any rehearsal room I've ever used...a small electric fan and, if you're using cheat-sheets or anything, a little reading light.
    These places can be dark and stuffy!

10. Sub41

Sub41

Jul 13, 2006
    North FL
    Awesome news! Good for you, I wish you the best in your new band.

11. Last week I found I could read my sheets, but I'll keep the idea in mind. Thanks!

12. And in the end, the weather spoilt it.

The weather's been crazy here this month. Hot, hot, hot for weeks on end. Like you wouldn't even expect in August. Yesterday, 29°C (82°F). Today, 31°C (88°F).
    Late this afternoon, it turned around. Rain, hail, thunder, lightning. As a result, one of the guitarists has his house flooded. Rehearsal cancelled.

Of course I feel for him. Still, disappointed. But at the same time I'm a bit relieved, because I've been losing a lot of sleep. Sleeping is difficult when (a) it's brutally hot and (b) you're overly excited. I now plan to go to bed early and sleep like a log.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  13. Oh no! Well enjoy your sleep :)

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I recommend you not read other threads on TB at this time. Wouldn't want to damage the enthusiasm you have for what might be a good band situation...a RARE good band situation.

15. I know the heat can be a real drag. I'm playing outside again tomorrow-in the club's back yard. It will probably be a bit balmy, like today- 35.6°C (96°F). At least the Texas heat hasn't hit us yet. :cool:

16. But why do you call it rare? Are band situations so seldomly good?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think you answered your own question... best thing is to keep a level headed approach to everything, including finding the right mix of music personnel... not too high, and not too low...

... I'm sure you'll know exactly when to celebrate... in the mean time, don't sacrifice sleep, now... what are you going to do when you play Madison Square Garden? :D

18. ^ Thanks bro. But in fact, I don't even know how good this situation is, having been with these people for all of an hour and a half.

19. ^ I kind of regret these words. I have enough faith in my guts and my experience, to know this situation is the good one for me.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. Invite you all!

Spidey2112 and Oddly like this.