1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition Story

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by instrumentalist, May 22, 2018.

1. The extension is .m4a which I have never heard of, and the TB software rejects it.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  2. I just got a phone call. They turned me down. They're afraid my lack of experience, both as a bassist and as a rocker, will slow them down.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Probably why it's also rejecting it from Google Drive...

... regarding the other rejection, we have all had them. No reason to stop practicing, getting better... get back out there, and keep selling yourself...

instrumentalist likes this.
  4. Yes, as someone said on another thread: bands are like streetcars....
    030174d5.
    ...there's always a next one

SadowskySteve and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Bummer!

I was just about to reply, when you posted this.

FWIW I have no trouble playing your file on my iPhone, so at least that's working (you learned a valuable tech skill from this endeavour).

Listening to that recording, as you said yourself - you're lacking confidence in the rock genre.

That was apparent - it's one of life's catch 22 situations, that you can't get a break without the experience, and you can't get the experience without being given a break.

I find it helps to just decided in advance "I'm ****ing doing this" (which is not to say there isn't a massive requirement for self study, and the awareness to self correct, as part of the process), and play with the appropriate degree of attitude, and self confidence.

Don't throw in the towel, or get disheartened - you're instincts are good ; both musically, in terms of what you ought to be playing, and where your weaknesses are, and also your instincts for detecting the right type of musicians to be playing with.

Listen back to that recording yourself - use it as a training aide.

For example, in those quieter passages in the verse - if your low notes were locked together with the kick drum, and you stopped them ringing out the exact moment the drummer hits the snare : it would instantly sound more powerful, and confident.

Keep plugging away at it, you've obviously got the skills, you're just in slightly unfamiliar territory at the moment.

instrumentalist and Spidey2112 like this.
  6. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Yep...

7. Thanks, Wood and Wire. Your helpful and detailed post is just what I need.
    Good!
    Thanks! And FTR, not disheartened at all! Actually I have a strong feeling that I did exactly the right thing for me - learnt a lot of things.
    Ha! They expressly told me to "let them ring"!! Which doesn't change the fact that you're right, of course: I get the feeling that they just didn't know enough about bass playing to tell me what you just told me. There were other instances where this seemed to be the case.
    Attitude. I've come across this word before. Can you define it? I'm seriously interested, it seems to be something I've been lacking in many ventures in my life.

Thanks again!

8. Definitely yep!

9. Well I received my email with special permission earlier on today. Yep that's me, SP SadowskySteve.

Just had a listen. Thanks for sharing. Don't worry there lots of bands out there.

Some good advice about playing along with the track. I would try a few different things and fills for fun.

Best of luck and let us know when you do land a steady gig!

10. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Just in case there's any confusion, I meant let the notes ring, right up to the moment the drummer strikes the snare (just in case you thought I meant to play them all staccato, just on the beats).

There's nothing inherently wrong with letting the notes ring out across the snare, or for several bars (compressors can really help give your sustain some meat), but simple tricks like playing the lower notes on the kick, and higher notes on the snare, or just getting out the way of the snare entirely, can make the music feel more strident, and powerful.

It's the spaces between the notes, that give a groove it's impact, and letting the notes ring can suck all the energy out of a piece of music - when perhaps it needs the bass to propel it forward.

So, in part, I mean :

"instrumentalist proudly presents his badass bass line"

Vs

"instrumentalist sheepishly presents a bass idea he's not really convinced in"

In part, I mean not having the M.O. of a Jazz cat in a Punk band, and not having the M.O. of a Punk in a Jazz band.

But mostly I mean, it's Rock & Roll, which is all about sex :

If it's a slow number, grind on it.

If it's a heavy number, **** it hard.

Never approach any Rock song, like you're about to lose your virginity.

Even if it's all bluster, just learn to navigate a convincing path around your weaknesses.

11. Wood and Wire, I think I'm going to print your posts and put them on a wall. You're telling me all the things I need to get past the point where I'm now.

12. Thanks, I will!

13. And I didn't misunderstand you about the notes ringing till the backbeat. :)

Wood and Wire likes this.
  14. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    +1,000,000

15. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Aw shucks!

Well at least, if they're printed on paper, it makes it easier to rip up the rule book - when you find what works for you.

:D