1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Audition Story

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by instrumentalist, May 22, 2018.

1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Try to enjoy the ride, good or bad... no matter which, I know you'll learn something, which will benefit you later.

2. Sage words to live by.

instrumentalist and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. So we rehearsed last night. We did good things with the songs, in a relaxed atmosphere. I was thoroughly enjoying myself.

They're still hesitant. Or they're just slow deciders. Their main doubt is whether I will develop a "rock" feeling. I get that, I'm new to rock and my playing maybe isn't "natural".

I carefully suggested that such things can take quite some time to really become clear, and we can't remain in uncertainty forever, can we? Luckily they agreed, so they decided to decide next week after rehearsal.

As for me, I've decided. I want in. They take each other seriously, they take the music seriously, and they really listen. That's all I want in music making.

4. In order to have one thing less to worry about, I brought my own combo. A MarkBass CMD JB Players School. One 15" driver, 150 Watts@8 Ohms. Not a lot for a five piece rockband, I thought. But with the volume at 9:00 and the gain at noon, the drummer asked me to turn down because he couldn't hear the guitars.
    :cool::cool::cool:

EddiePlaysBass, Oddly and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Groupies... you forgot groupies.

crguti and instrumentalist like this.
  6. Well, I will still have to find out about that.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    California
    Ah, the Netherlands. Every time I went to Eindhoven, I had visions of finding pallets of NOS Mullard tubes in one of my employer's basements. Never did happen.

Keep an eye out for being strung along until they find someone they like. In those situations, people get used by providing rehearsal services for free. Determine a point where they have to make a decision, or you move on.

8. Good point there. But don't worry: I won't allow that to happen. And I told them that.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  9. A sound clip from last night's rehearsal. Rather rough, but now you can all hear me play bass!

I need to point out that this is copyrighted material.

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Is the copyrighted material part of the Federal Witness Protection program, as it's not showing up for me...

11. Apparently, I need special permission. Waiting on my SP Status request.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. Dang! Sorry folks. This is the first time I'm trying to share a file via Google Drive, had no idea it'd be so problematic.

13. Struggling with the software... To me it now looks as if one of you can play it.

14. Spidey, I think you need to do this too.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. It would have been far simpler if I'd just uploaded that file. I tried but failed. Not my day, I guess.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Spidey2112 likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Google Drive is a valid media source, and I can see the text referencing it, in a reply...

... maybe a switch on the Google Drive side of the equation allowing sharing?

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'm almost there... I've got the first two letters unlocked...

SP... now, all I need is i, d, e and y...

SadowskySteve likes this.
  18. This has gone way too far. I'll have another go at uploading.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. I thought of that, too. Can't find it.
    :banghead:

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If it's an .mp3, just upload it, until you figure out the Google Drive component.