Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Auditioning for a NEW Bassist!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by PhilLloyd, Sep 16, 2004.

1. PhilLloyd

PhilLloyd

Sep 16, 2004
    Hi everyone.

This is Phil Kominski. I am the Vocalist and one of the guitarists of a regional band from Washington DC called The Lloyd Dobler Effect. We are a full time touring band that plays 90% original music and 10% cover songs. Most gigs, we perform only original music.

We are currently auditioning for a new bass player. Our current bass player will be vacating his position in three weeks. It is an amicable split...he just isn't interested in life on the road.

We mostly perform up and down the east coast and occassionally perform in middle America and outside of the United States. We mostly perform at Universities, Menu Venues and Concert Halls. Additionally, we are currently recording with Producer GARY KATZ (Producer of Steely Dan, Joe Cocker, Diana Ross, Dire Straits and 2-Pac, among others). We rehearse in Silver Spring, Maryland (20 minutes outside of Washington DC).

We are looking for someone who loves to perform and write music and loves being part of a band...someone who really wants to succeed in the music business. Please feel free to check out our website at

http://www.lloyddoblereffect.com

We are looking for someone between the ages of 19 and 29. You should have a good pocket groove and a great ear. You might listen to Dave Matthews, U2, Victor Wooten, Coldplay, The Police, Sting, INXS, Sarah Macglaughlin, Outkast, etc.

Please contact me if you are interested at:

Phil Kominski
    The Lloyd Dobler Effect
    240-793-0012 (cell)
    phil@lloyddoblereffect.com

Thanks, everyone.

- Phil :hyper:

2. someone prank call him.

welcome to TB

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :rolleyes:

4. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I do not fit their profile (I'm considerably older) but I can say that these guys are really good and if you want to play with this group, you better have your chops together. This would be a great gig for somebody within their profile. Too bad an over 50 guy with other commitments would not fit in, because the last time I heard their stuff, I really liked it and would love to play in a band like this one again.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You picked a good place to look; many of the folks here are very serious and didicated toward The Bass.

I'd really like to know what's with the fixed twenty-nine year age limit, being that there are so many true masters of bass that are aged thirty to seventy years old (MOST masters are in this 40yr span, as compared to your 10yr span I'd think! Heck - I'll even give you from zero years all the way up to 29!).

I can certainly imagine what you're thinking with that, but seriously - I'd like to hear it straight-out: What do you picture might 'go wrong' with.. let's say a fourty-three year old bassist?

I'm 43yrs old bytheway, but wouldn't be qualified for your position for reasons of skill and experience ON THE BASS - experience in LIFE, of course, is likely double that of a nineteen year old (whatever that's worth).

Joe
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm sure they're concerned with age for simply image reasons, and not the persons' life/bass experience.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Hi Phil! Brian here.

Phil and I have been in touch discussing this absolutely fantastic opportunity for a few weeks. I won't claim sole credit for showing Phil TB, but I'd like to think I was one of the people who suggested he check this online community out. And while I can't leave the house n' family for such an adventure I REALLY hope someone from TB can step up for the challenge.

About two weeks ago, I emailed specifics on this gig to the 15+ bassists attending the recent TB GTG at Bikerphil's place in Northern VA. I didn't get any responses to that note, so at this point folks outside the immediate DC area might want to be considering this opportunity, too.

Lloyd Dobler Effect is without question one of the preeminent unsigned acts playing to this demographic in the Middle Atlantic region. Extensive coverage in press and online suggests that they will go FAR. But that won't happen without someone skilled holding down the low end.

LDE's current bassist, Brian Buraker puts his Fodera through the paces through their live performances. Tapping chords, slapping, dub-esqe thump....he's a multidimensional player clearly influenced by wooten and wellington. And as a consequence, his parts occupy a significant portion of the musical bandwith. This is NOT a straight 8's gig.

I know that lots of the folks who are in a position to read this are at homes with computers and are therefore not likely to want to throw caution to the wind and go on tour. But what a chance. I mean WHAT A CHANCE. And if you yourself couldn't do something like this, perhaps you know someone you might refer to Phil?

8. :rolleyes:

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Joe, I know what you're saying, but this is a fairly young group of guys and just like anyone in the business, they should have the right to audition whoever they want. If image is part of the product, then they need to preserve the equity they have established in their brand. Just like any other professional act in music today.

10. :rollno:
    Do it Osama! Your lack of intellect and maturity makes you the one!

11. I greatly admire Phil's honesty in what they are looking for. He's just trying to market and sell his product. Good deal and more power to ya!

Not that this really matters, but as a "younger" musician (I think it was the 70's, a bit foggy) , I mainly played for the p****, I mean, girls, anyway. That was the focus, plus maybe some free "mind expanding substances".

Good Luck Phil! :)

12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Holy crap - that means that new GORGEOUS inlaid-top Fodera Monarch is right here in the DC area!

Brian and Phil - I saw this position come up and salivated at it, and I'm only 27.... BUT:

- No touring for me, thanks. Even tho I'm only 27, I've already had the mortgage, car note(s), etc. for the past 5 years.
    - I'm definitely not good enough.

So good luck Phil, may LDE rock the house well into the future. I know one bassist here at work, but I'll be honest, he plays mainly gospel and I don't know his skill level first-hand. But heck, I'll let him know! (i also think he's barely into his 30s tho)