Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Wrong Robot, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So, for the past year I've been thinking about moving to australia for a couple of months. My brother did it a couple years ago and it was a great time for him. Mostly, I like the idea of uprooting and going off to do something completely different than now. I like australia because, well, it seems like a neat place. So, Australians of this board(of which there are a surprising many). Tell me: Is it a neat place? what do you do to snooty foreigners that think they can just waltz in and leave their stink everywhere? do I need to bring drop-bear repellent? Is western australia completely worthless? and most importantly, who amongst you will let me sleep on your couches?
  2. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Austria rocks man.. do it!
  3. a. dont go to tasmania
    b. forget your winter clothing
    c. dont even look at ACT
    d. live on the coast
    e. NSW and QLD are best

what we do to snooty foreiners?..we sick pauline hanson on them:D
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Tropical diseases, huge bugs, deadly poisonous spiders, sharks .....;)
  5. I pretty much agree with Heath, there are cool little spots elsewhere in Australia, but they are all miles from anywhere, so living there is inconvinient.

..... QLD's better :bag:
  6. theres a song that a comedy duo did, i cant remember who, but they said they were hired by the australian tourism something or other....and the chorus was "come to australia and you might get killed" :D
  7. Hey, west is best :D Everything is more laid back here. Not all the hussle and bussle of places with huge populations. DO NOT go to tasmania or ACT, Northern Territory wouldnt be the greatest idea either.... unless you wanna live in a desert :p

We are a country founded on immigration, so i think we handle foreigners pretty well, ive never heard of anything bad happening. we are a very friendly place, except maybe Cronulla (sorry, that was a bad joke).
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, one of my dreams would be to buy a motorcycle and ride off into the middle of the desert and die. Or encounter post apocalyptic tribes warring over oil supplies. Whichever comes first I guess. So how well does that fit into things?

I was thinking about doing this sometime late in my summer(august till october probably), which would be late in your winter. I was planning on going to melbourne to start with but eventually hope to go at least to brisbane. I am interested in seeing vast wasteland as much as I am interested in being social, so it's all good really.
  9. melbourne, ek, crappy cold wet weather there. If you want to see alot of churches, and be bored, go to adelaide :p If your interested in in-breeding, go to tasmania :p The p0rn capitol is ACT, but boring again, Melbourne is cold, but i hear they have a great music scene. If i were you, i'd go to Perth / Gold Coast / Sydney.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

I might be going to Melbourne - I have cousins who live there and have been invited many times - looking at how flights are getting cheaper I might just do it soon!!

Glad to hear that it has a good music scene - looking better all the time for a long holiday! :)
  11. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Knowing you as well as i do Keef (haha)...I would say Melbounre would be the best place for you.

Sydney is very "in your face" with arrogance and brashness. Think New York.

Brisbane is a wannabe Sydney with more racism :D Think Texas.

Adelaide, Perth and Hobart are great places to visit, very laid back and probably awesome places to live, but are a little on the quiet side (think DC with better weather).

Melbourne is probably like a blend of Boston and San Fransisco with a little New Orleans thrown in to boot. Having lived in most major cities in Aus and have visted all but Darwin, I would say to a tourist to go to Sydney and to live, go to Melbourne.

PM me if you wanna chat more...
  12. i think Latimour just summed it up pretty well. Perth misses out on alot of concerts and festivals. Its not exactly quiet, you just gotta go out to the city/ town and have fun. But nothing like melbourne.
  13. yeah mark pretty much nailed it. im living in melbourne at the moment - great music scene but the weather in winter can really suck and the weather in summer can get a bit too hot. still it has to have something going for it to be voted "the worlds most liveable city".:bassist:
  14. Bruce Lindfield

So - what will it be like in Melbourne at around the time of the next England Ashes tour...?
  15. Most of NSW is not worth visiting - except Sydney and the far North coast. Sydney is great because it's city living on the beach. Good beaches. That's something Melbourne doesn't have close by. Sydney is great if you surf. There are always heaps of things to do in Sydney too.

QLD is much nicer if you are wanting to spend all your time at the beach. Brisbane is not so exciting, but the Sunshine Coast and Surfers paradise are pretty sweet. There are a few small towns south of surfers that are awesome, with really good surf. If you can get up to the Great Barrier Reef, do it. It's an amazing place.

Canberra is ok if you are passing through, but there isn't a whole lot of stuff to do here. Most of what we have is touristy stuff like parliament house, the national gallery, the national museum, etc. If you are into that sorta stuff then Canberra is good. It's by far the most beautiful city in Australia.

Melbourne's a good city to visit. I wouldn't describe it as being as flavoursome and diverse as Mark did, but it's certainly one of the more diverse places in Aus. I'm not as pro Melbourne as some of the people on here, but I still think it's a nice place. Very different from Sydney.

Perth is... well.... kinda like the other main cities, but it's on the other side of Aus. Same goes for Adelaide. There isn't much that makes them worth visiting if you have limited time IMO. If you had a year to spend here, I'd say go and visit them, but otherwise I wouldn't.

Of course, I think you'd be insane to come all the way over here only to spend time in the cities. The thing that really sets Australia apart from the rest of the world is the crazy landscape. Try and check out Ayers Rock/Uluru, and some of the top end rainforests. Darwin is good for this.

Darwin is the sorta place that you visit for a week, and then leave and never go back. It's remote and in the middle of a really fascinating environment. It's surrounded by Kakadu and Arnhem Land which means it's a great place to go if you want to experience the Australian bush "Crocadile Dundee" style. It's pretty strange up there compared to the rest of Aus, and just about everything up there can kill you :D It might be something that interests you.

Australia is pretty good compared to most places when it comes to accepting foreigners. Being an American, some Aussies will expect you to act ignorantly and like you are better than the rest of the us. As long as you don't do that, you'll be fine!
  16. I just flippin typed all that and then realised that you said you were planning on coming over here to live for a few months. I thought you meant visit/travel :meh: I'm too lazy to go back and change what I typed.
  17. Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    g'day mate. :)

yeah, i'm from melbourne so i'm biased here but i reckon we've got a good music scene here, dunno what it's like elsewhere, but i've heard its great compared to other states... i really enjoyed playing some biggish gigs at woodford folk festival in queensland

weather is pretty changable... but nice.

please come here and bring all your rad gear we don't have in australia and show it to us all! :D

and the music scene in melbourne is full of variety too, good jazz, good latin and funk/dance gigs, plenty of pubs, clubs and bars with anything from classic hard rock, electronica, covers, and lots of original music, some good, some not :D
  18. NO, NO !!!

Riding a motorcycle into the desert to die is so passe!

The new hip thing is to take a small boat out into the Gulf of Carpentaria and run out of gas, and then cast your fate to the currents. :p

Le map:

Kief, if you go to the land down under I will be buku jealous! I'd love to go there myself, but I have enough trouble getting to Jersey. :D

So, what's wrong with Tasmania, guys?

Mike :)
  19. brothers loving sisters i loving dads loving uncles... thats whats wrong with tasmania. Its a bit of an inside joke for Australians. Sort of how you guys view "the south" :p
  20. This would probably be much easier accomplished in Iraq I would guess!

Is anybody else reading this thread with an Aussie accent?

I've never been so this is all heresay, but my sister and brother in law both went to Teachers College in Australia. One in Melbourne, and the other in Perth. Melbourne sounded like there was more to do, and a bit more fun.

When I was younger we had an Aussie exchange student living with us. She was hot.