1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Autumn Leaves Chord Extensions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Nov 5, 2013.

1. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    I almost hate to say it, but some of this theory stuff is easier to visualize on keyboard. Once you start playing different inversions with your right hand and let the left hand or the bass player to establish the root, all sorts things begin to fall into place-- the dim7 being one that shows early any you learn that dim chord shape in you right hand.
    On bass the visualization may come from practicing arps on different inversions.

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    No shame in that; almost every music theory concept is easier to assimilate on keyboard. I learned the dim7 positions and voicings on guitar, which I still play to this day, but I took up guitar some 3 1/2 years before I took up bass.

The bottom line is to get it and to assimilate it into your playing. Whether that's through rote memorization, use of another instrument, or though reading lessons on paper, the key is to understand the notes you are choosing and playing. Sure, you can make good music if you just play the right notes without really understanding why, but the likelihood of selecting the right note is improved by understanding why it works in the context of the style of music you are playing.

3. jake3

jake3 Guest

Aug 23, 2013
    I think my favorite version of Autumn Leaves vis-a-vis the bass playing is Scott LaFaro's playing with Bill Evans and Paul Motian from Portrait in Jazz in 1959. In particular what LaFaro does the first time through. Here it is:

4. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Jake: LaFaro had a way of making any tune his own, and thanks for the reminder on this one. A very tight back and forth. Bill Evans should not be left out of the mix here; he was an absolute MF. Props to Paul Motian as well.

5. Bassackward

Bassackward

Jan 27, 2011
    Atlanta
    Thanks for that! Now at least I know what I don't know, as Rumsfeld might say.

6. +1.

Looks very useful. :cool: