Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ballison, Feb 25, 2006.

1. my Engineer brought in an Avalon u5 DI to try on my bass and HOLY CRAP!!! warm, buttery smooth, mwah tone. Im seriously considering getting one of those...has anyone else had any experience with one of these?

2. ChrisdFlip

ChrisdFlip

Feb 4, 2006
    USA
    When I saw Tori Amos in concert during her Scarlet's Walk tour, her bassist(Jon Evans) was using Avalon DI's. His bass sound was/and is flippin' awesome.

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Definitely one of the best active DI's on the planet. There are others with more knobs but the Avalon is just pure good tone and simplicity.

This thing is probably a part of more touring pro's rigs than just about any other single piece, not to mention most any pro studio.

IMO, it's a bargain.

4. +1 Well Said!

Peace,

T

5. I wish I had enough cash for it, but id need to sell a kidney Im so broke hah I might buy it in the near future for sessions I engineer since I seem to be doing that more and more and there's nothing better/more elusive than a great bass sound and this seemed to get it there!

6. I have a U5 in my studio and every bass player who comes down is pretty much blown away by how great that little box is. Phenominal piece of gear!

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I picked up a U5 in trade here on TB for a Fender TBP-1, and I absolutely love the thing. In my bedroom setting 2 is a god-send, and with the band setting 1 does everything I need.

What's funny is that I liked it so much..... I went and got a second one :D

8. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

What do you do with 2 of them (just curious)?