1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Avant - relic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by trtzbass, Oct 1, 2010.

1. trtzbass

trtzbass

Sep 25, 2010
    London
    ...what a concept!

To cut a long story short: I just got this bass:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=697576
    (btw KROVX the seller is the nicest guy ever)
    I'm toying with the idea of relicing it, so it'll look like somebody brought it back from a time travel in 2040, and it's been played a lot (I'm just speculating here, it might be that in 5 years everybody will just play ipads).
    What do you think? I'd personally love the battered look but I'd feel horrible kicking the poor thing around.
    And, in a broader topic, what basses would you like to see avant-reliced?

If you have a twitter account please visit my @basshaiku :sharing bass knowledge 17 syllables at a time :D

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I say go for it dude. It's your bass.

There's a guy on here that took a blow torch to the body of his brand new MIA Precision and people loved it...:bag:

You can't really go wrong

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Just Whip it :bag:

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Theres a small handfull of pro reclicers who sometimes visit a forum or two here. Its important imo that you dont try to relic a poly finish bass the same way you would a nitro finished one. Has your time travlled into the future, bass gone thru a nuclear winter perhaps? Is it a recovered bass from the post apocalyptic solar radiation and ice age that hit during 2012 to 2020? A diff type of relicing may be needed then. Lol. Perhaps it got used for many years by a band that did steam punk music after the 3rd world war. How should one relic the steam punk addons for reasonable apearance? I just dont know. The whole idea of time travelled reliced bass retrieved in future mainly just makes me go ?What????" But perhaps a fun project if carefully done and carefully thought out. Are those scratches from the alien beast that plucked the bass before vap0rizing the town back in 2025? Lol.

5. trtzbass

trtzbass

Sep 25, 2010
    London
    WOW! this is taking an unexpected direction... I like how you think... you're GOOD :D
    How do i tell if it's nitro or poly?
    ...alien beast... I love it!

makes me think of Douglas Adams' "the hitchhiker guide to the galaxy"

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Most modern isntruments use nitro or matte finish. Nitro tends to have a tacky feel and to me a more plastic like feel then poly. Poly is harder and doesnt fade or yellow. The ibby you got is poly finish. If I was relicing such Id prob go for minimal body wear appearance but perhaps some odd acid eaten spots and discoleration where said alien acidic blood got on it while useing bass as a club to fend them off when they landed in 2018. Lol. Bass recovered from ground zero time wrap expedition. Lol. If black bass perhaps some matte white color change from unknown chemical reaction with white volcanic ash like look. And simulated burn marks on the neck.