1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avatar (2) 2X10 neo or Carvin Brx 4X10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pickinator, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    The search has been narrowed. The Brx is an 18" deep cab and the Avatars are 16.5" deep. Is there a benefit to having all 4 speakers in one cab than dividing them into two cabs.

Portability isn't a factor for me.

I would appreciate any input.:D and sure wish mixing cabs wasn't such a criminal undertaking.:cool:

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The are more reasons 2 smaller cabs are better than one big cab. Small gigs, take one cab, two 210's will sound better than one 410 (if the speakers and construction quaility are similar). Third you still have a cab if you blow one.
    As for the direct comparison between two AVATAR 210's as compared to one CARVIN BRX10.4, not sure. They both sound good.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Even better idea: Get a pair of Carvin BRX 10.2 Neo cabs, and power 'em with a powerful amp that runs comfortably @ 2 ohms. Or a stereo head that puts out good power to two channels @ 4 ohms each - like the new Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 12.2...

MM

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1. with a caveat....get your 210's in the 8 ohm variety. This whole "get all the power out of my amp" thing is an excercise in futility. It gains you no more sound output and the speakers can't make anything of the extra power. The only increases there'll be is heat in the amplifier, wear and tear on the equipment and the risk of blowing speakers.

Set your 8ohm 210's on end for a vertically aligned 4ohm 410 stack that will be easy to hear and sound very good throughout most if not all of the entire room instead of just in front of it and will work fine with virtually any amp you may end up with down the road.

I say get the Carvin's because the Avatar OEM versions of the emi. speakers give up a good deal of uppermid response in exchange for a tiny bit more power handling down low, a tradeoff that IMO isn't worth it. Some folks say the Avatar's sound great that way, and they may, if that's the type of tone you're looking for. Myself, I'd rather have that upper response available and eq it out if I don't want it rather than need some for some definition there someplace and not have it available.

There's a caveat there as well. Carvin has changed suppliers from Eminence to Celestion so it is no longer a direct comparison and frankly, there is only 1 model of 10" electric bass driver in Celestion's lineup that I'd consider a quite good driver. I don't know if Carvin's OEM is a variant of that one or not. Carvin has a return policy so should it not be to your liking, it'll just cost you shipping to return it. It's not a total refund but about the best you can do with an internet order, think of it as renting the cab to see if you like it.

Don't be afraid to try out some other manufacturer's speakers as well, provided there's some sort of return arrangement and you're not stuck with them should you end up not liking them. I think Avatar has, or used to have a return policy like that as well. If they do, no harm in trying theirs first. I think these return policies don't apply to custom coverings/finishes, etc. It's likely fairly hard for them to re-sell something in purple tolex with an orange grill....basic black...no problem.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to will33's post. Truth.

6. Except Avatar has a no return policy. I like Avatar, but...

The 2 Carvins are the way to go if thinking about the single BRX10.4. Vertically, they are amazing. Powered with a Crown XLS1000, it's the first rig I've ever had to turn down because I was drowning out the guitar AND the drums.:bassist:

You lose the dispersion and ability to hear yourself with the 4x10.

My 2 cents. YMMV

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Ampeg's SVT 810 cabinet is 16" deep...Bergantino's 410 cabs are 15.5" deep, Berg's 210 cabs are 12.5" deep, their NV series are 15" deep. Sunn cabs were 15" deep, ect., ect.
    Depth may or maynot help in what tuning the manufacturer is trying to achieve.
    Myself, I always found a cabinet that is 18+ inches in depth hard and bulky to transport. And, putting a 18+ inch deep 410 cab in some passenger car back seats can be a real challenge!

I'll have to research Carvin's change to Celestion bass drivers, I wasn't aware of their change.

Carvin was using Eminence's (of China?) inexpensive, standard x-max, stamped steel framed drivers, crems and neos and Foster/Fostex/P-Audio horns.
    I believe their crossovers are from Eminence.

Avatar is using Eminence USA's top of the line 2510 cast frame, neo driver with a custom x-max to match their cabinets tuning and dimensions.
    Avatar's horns are also from Foster and their crossovers are from Eminence.

"To my ears," I've not had any problem of loss of uppermid response from my two 210 neo Avatar cabinets that I stack as a vertical 410.

Stacking two 210's in the vertical will give you better mids dispersion, better projection, and fewer phase issues than the standard configured 410 cabinet.
    It also gives the hearing advantage of a bigger/taller cabinet by getting the top driver up nearer to your ears.
    And as mentioned, you can run one cabinet for rehearsals/small gigs, both cabinets when more coverage and volume is needed.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I too would advise the 2x10 format 'cos it's what I use. One for rehearsal and a pair to gig with. I drive mine with either my tube pre-amp and a Carvin DCM1000L or a Carvin BX1500.

9. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    Thanks guys.

Two (2X10)s seems like the way to go. The Avatar's Eminence USA matters too.

Could a guy buy two Avatar (2X10)s to use with a new Carvin Bx1500 and maybe add two (1X12)s on a later date if needed, knowing that each small stack will be in effect powered by it's own amp section.

And should all cabs be ordered as 8 ohms.

My son, who kind of took my Avatar 4X10 and 1X15 cabs said that the cabs have a 4ohm/8ohm switch on the back? I don't remember seeing that, but is it possible to order speaker cabs with different ohm switches? Does Avatar still offer that?