1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aw man, Fender, really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sloppy_phil, Feb 20, 2019.

1. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Just thought I'd take a moment and have a little whinge; student came over this aft with new Custom Shop 60's pickups for his '00 MIM Jazz Bass that he wanted to install. Neck p'up went great. Ready to mount the new bridge p'up, and wouldn't you know it, but the cover (not the actual p'up itself) is probably about a 1/4" too long to fit inside the route! Absolutely bonkers. I'd *perhaps* expect something like this going from a janky Squier to an MIA instrument, but this feels wrong. Shouldn't there be standardized routing specs for the bridge pickup cavity? Not having ever owned a Jazz, and therefore not up on little design idiosyncrasies from year to year, is this something I should have expected? Perhaps this is a well-documented issue that I was just completely unaware of, but if not, it's quite the bugger.

Student had a jam this evening to go to, so I taped the p'up down and wired it up. But he's going to have to get the route extended in order to fit the stupid cover. Luckily it seems his dad has the tools and wherewithal to make it happen, but still.

Just had to share this experience, as the student just headed out. I have a Rick, which is a company legendary for fun design "quirks" of this sort of nature (putting it mildly). But I expected a little better from a Fender-to-Fender mod

2. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    I experienced the same problem installing a set of dimarzios into a MIM jazz. Neck Pickup dropped right in, bridge pickup didn't fit at all, had to open up the bridge pickup hole a bit more to accomadate for the wider bridge pickup.

murphy likes this.
  3. Known issue. I believe they corrected this on the Standard Fenders in later revisions.

Atshen, aaronious, NKBassman and 15 others like this.
  4. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

The earlier (until 2001-ish?) MIM Jazzes came like this, both pickups are neck sized. Later revisions have the slightly longer bridge pickup that's standard on most other models.

5. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It’s not a bug, it’s a feature.

Dan B, Ghastly, aaronious and 25 others like this.
  6. You’re right .. it’s a well documented fact on certain old version of the MIM jazz basses to such an extent that some after market pickups manufacturers produce bridge pickup with the same size as of the neck ones to suit these MIM models ... you should have known this unfortunately

7. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

I forget who makes them, but you can get aftermarket pickups that are designed to fit. Or just route the cavity out a little, it's only a millimetre or so on each side. You can use a file.

8. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I put new SCN pickups in my MIM. I bought them from Fender and they fit perfectly so go figure. SCNs were the standard pickups in MIA basses for a time and all I can say is they really brought my MIM jazz to life!

9. landrybass

landrybass

Oct 23, 2011
    My room mate just bought a Mod Sop tele, it had a bad grounding hum new out the box. Shop repaired and warranty covered but still.

bdplaid likes this.
  10. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
  11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    This is why you do research and take measurements before ordering parts. Hopefully your student has learned from his mistake.

Why would you expect better from Fender?

12. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    This is well known with older MIM's, but to my understanding newer MIM's use the same size pickups. G&L also does this with their Tribute Series basses currently.

13. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    "But still" what? The warranty worked and the bass was repaired without any issue? Stuff happens, and that's why there are warranties. Fender cranks out TONS of instruments, and although we'd like to think they should all be perfect, things do happen (which, again, is why there is a warranty). If that's not sitting well with you there are countless other options out there. Just saying.

14. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Yup, my MIM fretless has this 'issue' (quirk). I dropped a set of Fender original Jazz pu's in it and ended up literally forcing the bridge pickup into the rout. Cheap bass, and I got the pickups for dirt cheap so I really don't care. Sounds great.

Corbin likes this.
  15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    As mentioned above several times … VERY WELL DOCUMENTED ON TALKBASS … I have wrote in probably a couple dozen threads, that the change to conventional size Jazz pups took place during July of '01 for the '02 model year … to be safe, you want to look for a serial # starting MZ2xxxxxx … you will find some MZ1 that will be conventional size, they are from the 2nd half of '01 … along with the pup size change, body wood also went from poplar to alder, and the Strat style knobs on split-shaft pots, where changed to conventional Jazz 'top hat' style knobs on solid shafts with a set screw at that same time (2nd era of MIM Standards)… it is kind of hard to tell sometimes in pictures, but you can also look at the pups in a MIM Standard Jazz and if the A & D pole pieces are raised, they will have the conventional longer bridge/shorter neck configuration …

With all that said, it takes about 20 minutes with a Dremel to fix the bridge cavity to accept the longer cover, then it is done and you never have to worry about it again … while you are at it, good time to shield the cavities, as there will be none … that didn't take place until the 2006 model year for MIM Standards ...

Ghastly, petrus61, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  16. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Yep. Had a 98 Fender Jazz.

Swapped pickups and had to use a Dremel plunge router on the bodies bridge pick up to extend it out a little.

PITA but came out great

DJ Bebop and murphy like this.
  17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

"fender" you say.

DJ Bebop, tfer and porterbass like this.
  18. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    A solder joint can get loose during transit. Anyways, fixing a bad ground is super simple, and many people would fix it themselves.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  19. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Gibson needs to get their stuff together. Poor QC if you ask me.

mmmmmmmmm and Spieluhr like this.
  20. Corbin

Corbin Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Indianapolis, IN
    Exact same thing happened to me. I ended up sanding down the sides of the covers until the thing would squeeze down far enough. The Originals sound awesome in my MIM.

Smooth_bass88 likes this.