1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Awesome P pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gregmon79, Mar 24, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have a squire P that I through EMG's in a while back and a badass II bridge on. Now I like the EMG's but I am looking for something with a little more umffp and tonal shaping. I'd like to keep the warm feeling of this bass but I'd like to punch me in the face tooif I'd like to. What are some suggestions y'all have for some strong pups? I'd also like to add a preamp if possible. Maybe something like an auilar. I was thinking about swaping the neck out for a graphite neck on it eventually. Maybe. So what are your thoughts fellow TB'ers?

2. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Also, this says it was made in china. Is that considered the same as an MIJ squire? And how can I find out all the info on this bass through the serial number below?

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364169919.403681.

3. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    If you want a LOUD strong Pickup with very hot output.. and a good MID response yet still has enough highs the Dimarzio DP146 Billy Sheehan pickup might be the one.
    I put it in one of my P basses to get something different . It is hotter than an EMG pickup that i had in it.. Not as much up top high end but it is by no means muddy. I didnt think that i would like it. but man.. It sounds great for rock stuff.
    If you want something with a wide range deep lows and extended highs maybe try the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder.
    I have a Seymour Duncan Antiquity 2 in my old Alleva Coppolo P bass and it is smooth with a very open top end...and balanced lows. It is more present than the Fender 62 P pup.. But if you want HOT LOUD the Dimarzio would be the way to go.

4. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    If you are going to go and get a new neck , new pickups, and a preamp ect.. If it were me.. I would get another bass.. I am speaking from experience...and spend tens of thousands of dollars on experimenting... Ill try to save you some money... HA
    Experimenting is fun but its costly...

5. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    if you are trying to stay "warm" and keep good lows while having a high output, i would suggest trying out the Fender Original 62'. i have replaced the pups in my p-bass about 8 times now, i attached quick disconnect terminals onto the pots so i wouldnt have to solder anymore. haha. the 62's are my favorite blend of warmth, lows, mids, and highs. :hyper: my P-bass is an american 2001 with a maple board. i use fingers and a pick. i tried everything that seymour duncan had for sale and some other ones. i was looking into ordering some dimarzios but as soon i put the 62's in, i knew i was done searching. try to see if you can hook up with some dealers or local musicians that have different p pups. hope this helps :D

6. Waynebass

Waynebass

Nov 21, 2011
    Why would you put all that money into a squire,much easier to get a new bass,you,ll be much better off

7. After the new neck, then you can just order up a new body from Warmoth :)

8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I see what you guys are getting at, and I agree. I really wanted to build my own bass from the ground up to have that satisfaction. And I still probably will. But probably not for another few years. I really have A LOT of studying and research to do first. So, I've come to the decision that I'm just going to replace the EMG's on the squire I have now. Maybe the neck too, but after looking at how much graphite necks cost, I would almost be better off spending some good money for a bass that's already built and ready to go.

SO, with that said, all the suggestions on the pups is really appreciated. That's exactly the info and descriptions I'm looking for, the way that svt and dins above did. I don't have tons of exp by way of different pups out there to choose from. So thanks!! Hey dinsdal, I really would like that plug n play style you just described above so I can easily swap out pups!!! I really want to do this. Will most guys at music stores who set up basses and work on them know how to do this generally you think?

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Oh and btw, keep the opinions and descriptions of other pups comin please!!!!! Thanks!

10. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Pelham, AL
    Here's another vote for Billy Sheehan's Dimarzio p-pickup. I have one in my Warmoth Jag, and I love it. My favorite pickup, possibly ever.

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'm very very interested in these now. Where can I pick some up though? I googled it and can't seem to find where I can buy just the pups.

12. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    its probably not anything that is commonly requested. i did it myself. just google "spade terminals". you can get them in pretty much any basic electrical crimping set. all i did was cut the lines running from the pickups to the pots, and install a set of these on each one. if you have worked with wire strippers or crimpers before than it will be a breeze for you. so i would try a pup out, then take em out, install more male ends on the new pups i wanted to try, and slide em right into the female ends that i left on the pots. no soldering. just smooth. :p

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ok I think I see. But he's got 3 different pick ups he uses in a sig bass by Yamaha. But should it be the Will Power middles or the Model P? And they have output ratings by the respective pup on the dimarzio website like a Will Power has an output of 175 and the P has an output of 163. What does that mean exactly? Anyone?

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Awesome! Thanks fellow TB'er.

15. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    you're welcome :bassist:

16. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    The DP 146 is the P pickup style.. I never thought that i would like something like this. since im a vintage nut and really dig either the real thing on my 60s basses or the Duncan Antiquity 2 ups..
    I have the Fender 62 RI and it is cool.. warm and full... decent topend.. but i like the Antiquity 2 for a more realistic vintage sounding pup...

But if you want HOT output that has good enough top end and full but not boomy bottom with a mid that pokes though and growls I foud teh Dimarzio does it on my 71 p bass. alder body, maple neck.. It also did well in my RW necked p bass...

this Dimarzio is the one i was talking about..... http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/will-power-middle
    The reason that i got this was because it allows me to bend notes and not get drop out like you do on a normal p bass pickup because of pole piece alignment.. Teh EMG is good with that too. But two different sounding pups.

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Awesome!! Thanks svt. I think I'm going to try these for sure. I'm going to try the idea with the connector terminals in my bass as well so I can swap out with greater ease. God I love TB!! These pups sound awesome. Well I'll find out what they sound like when I get em.

18. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    hey SVT, did the antiquity 2 sound kinda fragile or hollow to you? i dont know if maybe it was my maple fretboard combined with it, but it seemed like it was missing warmth or something. is this what you are talking about when you say vintage? i tried a few different antiquities and i remember not liking that one at all. cant remember all of the specifics, this was like 6 years ago. thanks!

19. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    The Antiquity 2 are bright... Not in a bad way.. but the top end sems to go up to almost alembic pickup area.. very open up top compare to other P bass type pickups.... They still sound OK in a mix though.... TO me they have an ever so slight upper mid scoop compared to the Fender 62... But the Antiquity sounds closer and more like my old 40 something year old fender P bass...

The Fender 62 and Duncan SB1 are thicker and if possible the SB1 and Fender 62 sound just about the same to me..
    You are right about the antiquity being a little less in your face... But i sort of like that in my Alleva Coppolo P bass.. It is so airy up top that some engineers cant believe it is a P bass. They almost think it is a J bass..

20. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    No... MIC- Made in China...MIJ- Made in Japan.