Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B E A D players.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Feb 4, 2006.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have been experimenting with this string format lately and I am intrigued.

Besides not having the G is there any other drawbacks?

If I cut my graphite nut to accept the larger strings will I be able to go back to E A D G witht the cut nut without any adverse effects, such as string slippage/movement etc?

2. What's the point of playing a BEAD bass? Just get a 6 string so you don't lose anything.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    the advantages of a 4 string strung B E A D are that you have a thinner neck (easier to play) plus the bass is lighter plus its cheaper in that you dont have to buy a 5 string, plus there is greater space b/n the strings.

4. You say tomato, I say tomahto. I just don't see the point. I hate the low B string, it sounds like rattely, muddy crap to me.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Different strokes for different folks. For me a five seems asymmetrical and not for me, a four is perfect (yes, I keep one BEAD most of the time) and a six is mostly overkill. Haven't found a good passive one.

BEAD allows you to have the lower range of a five string with the neck of a four. Billy Sheehan does it, Tim Commerford and a few other famous players do it because they don't like the feel of a neck that's any bigger.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    How many five/six strings have you played so far, MikeyFingers? I can guarantee you a decently made bass won't have a muddy, rattly B string.

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    After owning a couple of 5's, then switching back to 4's, then converting my only bass to BEAD, then converting it back to standard, I too came to this realization.

I hate the flatness of 5-string necks (wideness never bothered me) and I found my BEAD 4-string was almost like playing a 3 string bass. I hardly ever used the B and really missed that G.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I wanna go full subcontra... (C#,F#,B,E) but I'm not sure the construction on my bass can handle it, and I'm almost positive my amp/cab can't.

As to your question, If you aren't that critical about your setup, I'm sure you could go back to standard, IF you even find you need your nut modified. Most production basses have enough play in them to take the change to BEAD without being re-cut. You'll likely need to adjust intonation.

9. Leeum

Leeum

Aug 21, 2004
    England, UK
    I'd go for a 6 string, I actually find mine easier to play than my 4 string :)

10. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    What is the thinnest B string I can get without it being too floppy? I am assuming it would have to be an inherently high tension string.

I put roundwound 125 B on my bass and it wasnt close to fitting. Maybe a 115?

Another area of interest is playing in the 5th position. I like it alot, however the tone I get from that section of the neck isnt quite the same.

11. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you want a thin string, it would have to lower tension... if you want high tension, it will need to be thicker. (damn physics!)