1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Baby Bass megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by nil, May 2, 2001.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey guys, just got one of these. Fingerboard has a little too much relief, and that looks like a truss rod under the end of the fingerboard? I did searches but all I see is the neck angle adjustment, can you tell me if that is a truss rod and how to adjust it? What kind of tool does that use?

2. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    What kind of tool goes with that wheel at the end of the truss rod? Never seen that before.

3. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's so much a truss rod as it is extra support for the section of fingerboard past the neck. I don't remember seeing anything in the manual about adjusting it.

http://maxbass.com/PDF/BABY_BASS_MANUAL.pdf

4. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah definitely nothing in the manual. I thought that I read it only affects the part that extends past the body. It was completely loose and had a upward curve, will this not deal with that curve at the end at all?

5. Sammy Roca

Sammy Roca

Nov 4, 2016
    there is only one guy who makes his baby bass to Zorko and Ampeg specifications. They sound AMAZING!!! He hand fabricated everything even his pickups and he has mini bass models! I highly recommend him. He is currently working with and building basses for the great Salvador Cuevas, Ruben Rodriguez, Oscar Cartaya..... legendary Latin bassist's! His name is Andy Rosado you can find him in google Andy Basses PR Facebook

Attached Files:

6. Sammy Roca

Sammy Roca

Nov 4, 2016
    Built to exact specifications for zorko and Ampeg baby bass models! All built by hand and pickups! In my opinion he is the only one doing it right!!! Prices range from 1,800.00 to 2,200.00 built to your liking. Andy Basses PR

Attached Files:

farace likes this.
  7. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    BB Post 005. ABB Bridge.
    Jesperhansen.....the image you posted looks nothing like an original Ampeg aluminum bridge, (see image I uploaded its from a mid 60's Ampeg). The height on yours is way taller. I lost mine years ago during a move and I've been looking for one for 20 somewhat years. Mine, (quater sawn maple), was custom made by Steven Azola. I too am still looking. If anybody wants to get rid of theirs, (AMPEG aluminum bridge. Not Ray Ramirez, MOOG, Sendal, or Andy bridges), let me know.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  8. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    IMG_0517.JPG
    I'm sorry, I thought I had taken a photo in response a long time ago, but I don't see I think here. Here is the view of my '68 Ampeg Baby Bass.

9. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I just picked up a white Baby bass. The previous owner did a horrendous refin on the neck. No seam splitting but a bit of cracking around the neck pin. I don't think the end pin is original but the serial # is 000605. My plan is to remove the neck and get the white paint off (a few coats I think...!). Is the neck supposed to be natural or was it originally painted? Also, does anyone have an idea when it was made?

Thanks,
    Dave

10. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida

Show a pic...

nofretdave likes this.
  11. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    As far as the manufacture date, I would look on the back of one of the pots (volume or tone). They should be CTS pots - they are date coded 137-XXXX - the fourth and fifth digits are the year and the 6th and seventh are the week.

They all seemed to have matching headstocks/scrolls - but I think the colored ones also had paint on the necks.

Here is a fiver that is white: Ampeg BB-5 5 String Baby Bass 60's White

I have a catalog shot of a turquoise one, but it does not show the back:

IMG_1454.JPG

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    nofretdave likes this.
  12. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Thanks for the info. I will pull the electronics when I unstrung it to strip the neck. Has anyone has any luck fixing the cracks? If so, what glue? I've read a all the posts and didn't see any recommendations.

13. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    As requested, here are a few photos. As you can see the neck is rough. The endpin is definitely not original and is very flimsy. Can anyone tell me the diameter of the original?

Attached Files:

14. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    That paint job on the neck is definitely not original. From the Baby Basses I've seen the necks are not entirely painted, just the area on the neck pin and the scroll area. If I were to do it, I'd remove the neck, strings and all tuning hardware. Next I'd strip that horrible paint job and sand it down from 120 through 220 grit. Finalizing it smooth with steel wool. I wouldn't bother repainting it you'd do more harm than good. You didn't show a pic of the end pin, (peg pipe). The diameter on mine is 2-1/4".

15. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    That's my plan...great minds! The end pin looks to me like a standard cello/upright bass assembly that the previous owner attached with pipe coupler.

ddbassGA likes this.
  16. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI

17. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Forgot the picture!

Attached Files:

18. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    LOL!! Bet it worked. Anyway, finding a replacement or similar would be a task if even possible. Here's a pic of mine removed. The nylon plastic bushings wore out and the peg kept slipping on me so I did my own little rig. Not too cosmetically damaging and it works great. Be nice if someone would show their peg hardware on an original ABB4 or even a Steven Azola re-issue. Ampeg Peg Pipe assembly.

19. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    By the way the scrolls on the neck are some kind of plastic, (remove them if you want to re-use at a later time). I removed them and made my own from wood dowels and I finished the neck with natural shellac flakes and real beeswax. ABB4 Scrolls.

20. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida