1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Baby Bass megathread

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by nil, May 2, 2001.

1. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Here's a picture of the pots.

Attached Files:

2. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Thanks! Any advice for removing the neck pin? Mine is exposed on one side only and I hate to chew it up with a pliers.

3. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    Naw don't do that. Just remove the strings and lightly tap it out with an aluminum or wooden dowel of a smaller diameter. It comes out in either direction. It's held in by the pressure of the tightened strings.

4. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Wow!

5. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Mine only has a hole on 1 side so I can't tap it out...

6. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    That's interesting. Mine goes straight thru. Sounds like a mod they did for the later models. I guess you'll have no choice. Here's what I'd suggest. FIRST REMOVE THE STRINGS. Next, pop out the chrome button in the rear of the body and completely remove the neck height adjustment bolt, (3/16 hex bolt). Finally, pull it out with pliers. It should be a lot less tighter by then.

7. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I got it. Neck is nearly stripped. Should be a LOT better when it's done.

8. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    1964!

9. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Like myself, Dave has an earlier model. They have a few differences: the neck pin is only exposed on one side, it does not have the extended tailpiece (and needs longer strings) and the Ampeg logo is on the headstock. Mine (a '63) also came with a blue check covered gigbag that matched the Ampeg amps of the day.

nofretdave and Fast Freddie like this.
  10. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    I've collected many pictures throughout the internet of blue, white and the standard sunburst and five stringer BB4's, (a few with the logo on the head-stock). IMO, I still think out of any EUB, the Ampeg rules as king in every way!

nofretdave and Bass 45 like this.
  11. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    could you post a picture of the logo? I'd like to get a replacement (or something close) made.

12. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sure - I'll post a few photos of the old bird:

IMG_1557.JPG IMG_1558.JPG IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1560.JPG IMG_1561.JPG

nofretdave likes this.
  13. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Nice! That is the coolest gig bag ever made!

Bass 45 likes this.
  14. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I agree. My (1968) Baby Bass's gig bag is made from stinky deteriorating nylon with just a flannel lining. It seems to have shrunk, too, because it's almost impossible to zip up.

Bass 45 and nofretdave like this.
  15. nofretdave

nofretdave

Jan 28, 2010
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I just noticed the collection of portaflex amps in the background...wow!

Bass 45 likes this.
  16. Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Nov 1, 2008
    Florida
    Never seen one with gut strings...wow! My gig bag is a more modern ABB4 bag from Ampeg. And yes, mine stinks big time....That Polaroid UV stuff was made to stink forever...

17. It's synthetic gut.
    They look like FMI's strings.

18. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yes - it is easier to tell up by the tuners. I don't know the brand - they came with the bass - but they sound good - and thumpy.

19. gitoat

gitoat

Sep 18, 2008
    I've had this Baby for about 10 years and am looking to get some upgrades on it like new tuning machines. Also looking to go back to the old aluminum bridge instead of the current wooden one. I've always wanted to know exactly how old this Baby is; I assume it's the older version since "Ampeg" is on the headstock rather than on the tailpiece, perhaps pre-1965. The serial number under the tailpiece is 000658. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

20. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Thinking of selling my 60's baby bass. I've owned it since 80's and haven't played it in over 20 years. Includes case and stand. PM if you all know of anybody interested. I'd like it to go to an enthusiast.