back pain while playing.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by srxplayer, Nov 11, 2004.

1. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I am experiecing a weird back pain just inside and below my right shoulder blade when I play standing up for more than an half an hour. I only get this pain when I play bass. My acoustic guitar doesn't bother me at all.

Anyone else experience something like this?

I'm right handed and wear my bass about waist level. I play an Ibanez SRX300 and a Fender Jazz. The Jazz weighs more but I get that same pain with the Ibanez. I have adjusted the strap height higher but no relief. I'm thinking it might be the strap itself but I'm not really sure. I am using 2" Dunlap straps on my basses.

Anyone have any suggestions before I go to the bone crusher?
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I started getting back pain a few years ago.I kept taking advil
    to relieve the pain. Then my sister told me to go to her
    Chiropractor. I was like"yeah right". But the pain got worse so
    I went, and they took x-rays and showed me that as we all
    get older there is Degeneration of the Discs,and with some
    back adjustments they can put your adjust your spine and get rid of the pain. Also make sure your shoes have good arch
    support as well. That can also cause back pain.Now I go to
    the Chiropractor every couple of months for a adjustment.
    Luckily I have a Major medical insurance plan thru work and
    only had to pay 35 bucks.
  3. Get a wider, padded strap. I play my 12+ lbs Spector for whole evenings with no problem.
  4. +1
    You need another strap dude pref. a wide leather ( or paded ) one although they can be more expensive but a good price to pay for
    I mean I had a problem like that but my stress pain was on the shoulder and getting the strap did wonders
    Anyway I'd rather pay a expensive price for a strap then have back pain
  5. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I was thinking that it might be my strap. I will try the wider padded strap. I will pick one up tonight.

I have had a few serious back injuries in the past 10 years but the pain I'm experiencing is not in the spine.

Thanks for the input.