1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Backing/click track cover band support group needed

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I should preface this by stating that I love my band and my bandmates. We get along great and have so much fun playing out. We are a trio that covers a huge swath of material, and our fans love us. But there's that awkward 10-45 seconds between songs when the next track is being queued up. The dancers look at us quizzically. Same song = same arrangement every time. The occasional technical difficulty. Forget medleys or mashups. Yes, the struggle is real.

Michael Schreiber and Nunovsky like this.
  2. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Maybe it's just me, but, what exactly is the purpose of your post? Is there a question there? Or perhaps you're taking a stance about something? Maybe even asking for advice. Sorry, but I just don't get it.

3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    You could hand out carrots between songs to keep the people busy and distracted.

City, makaspar and Marley's Ghost like this.
  4. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    This is the bass/band humor forum, no? So some snarky responses or good natured grousing could work.

City likes this.
  5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Hopefully it's just you.

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. filmtex

filmtex

May 29, 2011
    Phwew. Glad it's just me.

Marley's Ghost likes this.
  7. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I don't really get it either... Why the dead air in the first place? I thought bands with backing tracks assemble some sort of "playlist" to prevent that.

DiabolicLow B likes this.
  8. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    We get requests so rarely play a contiguous set per the list.

9. 6Bass101

6Bass101

Apr 2, 2016
    Fort Mill, SC
    Well I guess that's a fair trade off. The "price" for requests is the occasional awkward silence. As a fan or audience member, I'd be cool with that.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  10. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Okay, I understand then. But maybe that's the problem - or it does pose a dilemma at least.

Come up with some kind of filler music is what I would try. Something you can play while the frontman (or whoever is responsible) gets the tracks ready.

Michael Schreiber and 6Bass101 like this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Your awkward 10-45 seconds sounds a lot like the one I've read about here involving guitarists tuning.
    My solution to that involved shooting the guilty party but perhaps that's a bit extreme?
    Maybe you could incorporate a game of bingo into your show, having one of you call out numbers while someone else gets the next tune queued up?
    Or have the person who's requesting the next tune come up on stage and explain their choice?

craigie and Marley's Ghost like this.
  12. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    The band I subbed with this weekend used backing tracks that ran from an app on an iPad. I can't say that I noticed a lag between songs and they did medleys/mashups. They did have fillers planned out on the set list as well though: planned dialogue, prize giveaways, solo spotlights for various members, etc. However, whatever app they were using was pretty slick at cuing up songs and was run by the drummer/band leader. He was the only one with the click track in the monitor mix and as far as I could tell any perceived extra time was a four count at most for him to hear the click and off we went but most often the transitions were filled as mentioned earlier.

City, basslifter, MattZilla and 4 others like this.
  13. Pirate Captain

Pirate Captain Elitist Jazz Snob ******** Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shelter Island, NY USA
    fire the backing track

GregC, Jimmy4string, Atshen and 19 others like this.
  14. There should always be a sliding protocol for requests. Depending on the number os musicians, lets say for argument, its 5 for this protocal
    If the requester adds $10 or less with the request- maybe next set, maybe the last set
    $10-$20 maybe in a few songs if the song fits in.
    Between $50- $100- it'll be the next song.
    $100 and up, you stop the current song dead in its tracks and kick into the request.
    If its a Kiss song, minimum $500.
    If its the guy with nights band check, it's next.

15. Could someone give me an example of a band with a 'backing track'?

I'm not being snarky or sarcastic, I am really curious.
    In my mind's eye, I'm seeing Milli Vanilli .......

dralionux, City and Michael Schreiber like this.
  16. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    It usually more of just extra keyboards and some background vocals. Maybe a rhythm guitar or something if you are a 1 guitar band. At least in my band's case.

Solution - get a better backing track program, stick with the set list, and kill the requests unless you can get quicker at loading the track.

17. So I guess this makes you better musicians, since your timing has to perfect to avoid a train-wreck .... interesting ......

HolmeBass and hrodbert696 like this.
  18. Record your backing tracks in 3 or 4 song segments. This takes away some of the down time and still allows you the ability to reasonably take request.

On a side note since you're noticing the dancers looking at you quizzically, congrats on the eye contact (as per another thread)!

fishstix, craigie, pudgychef and 2 others like this.
  19. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    45 seconds is just unacceptable especially for a dance band. If you need backing tracks for every song, maybe what you really need is another band member or two.

City, Wadge, Bassbubble11 and 2 others like this.
  20. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    There's a click in one channel, music in the other, and we use in-ears to stay with the click. We just have to know our parts really well.

Regarding train-wrecks - our drummer is good enough to turn off the track when that happens, and then we can finish the song. Can't say it happens too much.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    HolmeBass and comatosedragon like this.