1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bad GC experience(Need some help/vintage content)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JN8642, Feb 6, 2017.

1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    This was not the employees fault, it's probably mine at the end of the day. I just wish they told me need to know information.

After almost two years I had finally found a 1974 G1 Gibson Grabber at an ideal price of $700 that was in good enough condition for me to want to buy from GC, loved it, so beyond comfortable and fit so well with my band and our playing style, became an instant forever bass. I've been helping my brother pay his bills since he got divorced and his roommate moved out and it was going to be a little stressful(but doable) for me to pay mine this month. I decided since I was still within the 72 hour vintage return window to return the bass, I decided to do so then immediately put it on layaway just so I could have a portion of the money back to pay my bills with a little more peace of mind and was gonna pick it back up a week later.

Since it was an online order it would have taken 24 hours for me to re put it on layaway but the manager said he'd put it on a no money down layaway until I could put the money back down at 4 o'clock today. We both figured it would be safe. I learned this morning that even before it could process into their inventory that a GC PRO guy bought it. I'm still like shocked, I guess a GC PRO guy is someone who buys vintage gear for the pros and big recording studios and what not and they get updates when a vintage piece is brought into the store, it doesn't even have to be in the system yet for them to buy it.

I spoke with the manager at the store it came from, the manager at the store I brought it to, and as well as the GC assistance hotline. None of them had any way of reaching the GC PRO guy that bought it, I basically just wanted to try talking with him to plead my case so that he'd sell it back to me.

This is the last place I think I can turn to, if any of you guys perhaps know how to reach these GC PRO people, or have heard anything about a GC PRO guy they know who bought a 74 Grabber for $700 from the Guitar Center in Portsmouth NH, maybe you could let me know.

I know it's a one in a million chance, but I was also told at GC that it was almost a 0% chance that it would've been accidentally sold so who knows. I just feel like karma punched me in the face for trying to do a good deed.

2. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's a decent price for a Grabber. I can see why someone snatched it up. Sorry you missed the opportunity.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    IMO, since you had financial stress, it's probably better that you didn't get this one right now. :unsure:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It's gone, man. Sorry.

5. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I just like being smart at the end of the day, I kinda look at it as what if I kept it, payed my bills, then what if my brother needed a last minute expense to stop him from going into bad debt

6. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    So, I understand you brought in the vintage bass to sell. Sold it, and a shot time later wanted to buy it back. but it was sold.

7. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Returned it, attempted to immediately put it on layaway, couldn't cause it needed to take 24 hours to go into their system, manager put it on a no money down layaway, called in the morning to make sure everything is all set still, found out that a GC Pro guy bought it cause I guess they can do that without an item being in a stores inventory/or if it's a layaway hold of that type.

Look, I know the bass is gone, I did it for the sole reason to have the extra money until I got payed again to help a family member, and like I said in the original post I feel like karma socked me in the face. This was kinda therapeutic in a sense to write and to potentially learn more information on my situation.

8. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    OK... I got it. Thanks.

9. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    How is it Guitar Center's fault when they sold the item to someone who came up with the full asking price over a person that wanted to put it on layaway with no money down?

10. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    I never said it was guitar centers fault, nor any of the employees

11. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    You better change the title from

Bad GC experience(Need some help/vintage content)

to something else more appropriate then.

FilterFunk likes this.
  12. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^This.

"Bad GC experience" sounds unfair to GC in this case.

13. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    My initial thought was the title would get this thread more views, giving me more info on the situation, but I do see where your coming from

14. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Live and learn, at least the bills are paid.

15. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    sorry that happened to you.

i guess things are different in texas. here in california, they have to hold everything they buy for a period of time - maybe 30 days, can't quite recall, but i believe stores like sam ash and GC that buy gear do it with a pawn license, and that requires a hold period. several times my husband had to put used stuff he wanted on hold till they were released.