1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bananana MATRYOSHKA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spectrum, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I do all those sounds with my Future Impact.

2. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I still really want one of these though.

3. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I usually get into synth territory with just an OC-2 kind of analog octave. No dry signal, 100% wet.
    Adding a bit of fuzz and other effects (flanger, tremolo, chorus etc.) is even better to recreate some specific synth sounds. That's the easiest and most natural way to create your own synth tone, but you can get a lot more experimenting with other pedals.
    My idea is to try the same basic combination with my recently acquired Eventide H9 MAX and my Alexander Syntax Error to see if there's an "overlap" between them. I think that the only effect that is unique for the Syntax Error is the bit crusher (which the H9 doesn't have), but it's not tweakable enough for me, definitely a one trick pony. I'm still undecided about selling the Syntax Error, I'll think about that in the next weeks.
    I thought about getting a Matyoshka because it's something completely different, and crazy. It's a dedicated synth pedal, with a specific purpose in mind and more unique sounds (including a bit crusher).
    Plus, it's so tiny that you can easily find some space in your pedalboard.

SwitchGear, bass08053 and Bo0tsy like this.
  4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Bit crusher on the bananna was one of my favorite sounds. I also really love just using analogue octave with no dry signal as my main synth sound and then layering things on that. I have an analogue bit crusher that I use and it sounds killer for this. Keyword for me is analogue. All my synth affects are analogue and that is the sound I prefer. Once I realized that was my preference, it was pretty easy for me to build a chain that works for what I like to do.

CunniMingus and bass08053 like this.
  5. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Have you tried layering the Matryoshka bit crusher on top of your analog octave with no dry signal? Does it work good? From what I've heard it's not just a bit crusher, it's a synth with some bit crusher on top? I wonder if you can use just the bit crusher and remove the synth?
    I like bit crushers but I run a Nano+ board and don't have the space for a dedicated bit crusher. If the Matryoshka works also for this application it would be awesome. What's your analog bit crusher?

6. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    So the dry blend on the bannana was lacking for me. It always sounded super wet or the clean signal just poked through too much. Could not really get the blend I wanted there.

I use the BugCrusher. It is really, really cool.

CunniMingus likes this.
  7. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I remember a video by Janek Gwizdala where he showed that pedal and it was very cool.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  8. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Yeah it really is, but I am a sucker for minimal knob, analogue pedals. The main thing about that combo for me is that I have control. When I turn it on, I know what I will be pushing out of my speakers. My only issue with the Banana, and I talked about it months ago in here, is that I could never control it completely.

It still is a very fun pedal that does a ton of interesting things for it's size.

9. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    A synth pedal built first and foremost with the bass player in mind (and not just as an after-thought to generate a few extra sales)! I've been fortunate in being able to bag a mint used one which should be arriving tomorrow - can't wait! I suspect that my Markbass SuperSynth may find this new kid on the Krow pedal board block giving it a bit of shove towards the exit :)

Those of you who are already Matryoshka experts and have decided this pedal is going to be a keeper - what are your favourite settings and are you managing to incorporate the pedal into your live sets?

10. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Well it's arrived and on my board!

It's identical in size to, and taking the place of my, COG T16 v2 (which became 'spare' as soon as I belatedly realised I already had an excellent octaver on my Markbass SS); I suspect it's going to be fun / crazy / interesting replacement :)

Looking forward to getting my head around the myriad sonic permutations on offer!

PB - 1807 .JPG

Spectrum, Bo0tsy and BurningSkies like this.
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've had mine on the board for a good while too. I don't have a setting for it yet, but I'm happy to have it, even just to make some extreme noises. ;) It's so small that I have no good reason to move it. Oddly I use my Mantic Flex Pro a little bit more.

12. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    I'm already enjoying this little wonder: it has soooo much going on! I thought I might miss my COG T16 v2 from my board, but it kinda feels like I've just swapped a tomato juice and been given a three course dinner in its place in terms of the sonic possibilities this delivers!

My eyesight is not what it used to be and, given there are no presets (one area that the Markbass SS does better on, for sure), if I'm going to have any hope at all of remembering / easily noting down my favourite settings as I go along I definitely need some visible markings! I'm sure I'm not the first to make this point; my particular solution is to attach some (removable) markers which, with a pair of scissors and some tweezers and a bic biro, I managed to relatively easily add to the knobs:

I'm sure you guys have come up with something neater, but this will get me started :)

B Matryoshka.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Spectrum and sillyfabe like this.
  13. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Hey Spectrum - out of interest which synth pedals have you got in your stable and which ones do you really rate? How does the Matryoshka stack up against them?

14. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Just spent a bit of time going through the thread and in particular the reviews posted. Great to see that Tim Lefebvre is such a big fan Juan Alderete describes this as "the coolest bit of gear" he's recently reviewed!

I'm sure everyone on this thread has also seen the reverb review, but as it doesn't seem to have been posted (apologies if I missed it) on this thread, here it is for completeness:

Spectrum likes this.
  15. Let's see, I have these...

More a cool filter than a true synth pedal: Digitech Bass Synth Wah

True synth pedals: Behringer BSY600, Bananana Matryoshka

Not really a synth pedal: EHX Superego Synth Engine

Of the bunch I'd say the Matryoshka tracks better than other synth pedals I've tried. It has a bunch of really cool effect options and that blend of basic synth with extra effect make it unique. I love it just for the sample and hold feature alone, and the fuzz is crazy.

The BSY600 is cool because it has an expression pedal input that lets you control the filter sweep or the LFO speed, etc. The main weakness with that pedal is the screwy way they set up the foot switch control. To turn the pedal off you have to tap it quickly and release; if you tap it too long it goes into the note hold mode. When playing live this gets really tricky. Some people have done mods to the pedal to fix this. The BSY600 is supposedly a clone of a Boss SYB-5, but it's got some key differences.

The Bass Synth Wah is just super cool once you learn to get it to track. I used it mainly for the filter sweep that sounds like the beginning of Tom Sawyer, great sound effect. The octave feature on it is pretty good, and the auto-wah is great for pissing off guitarists lol.

The Superego isn't really a synth, it's more like a fancy EHX Freeze. You can do a lot of dreamy stuff with it, make your bass sound like a slow cello and so on. I like using it with my analog synthesizers for atmospheric effect.

CunniMingus and Al Krow like this.
  16. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    @Spectrum really interesting summary of your pedals - thanks.

Here's a quick crib sheet of the BM's feature set I've cut and pasted from the net to help me get my head around the pedal, in case this might be useful to anyone else.

Edit: I've had a chance to spend a bit of time with the pedal now, and have updated the crib sheet with a second page with a quick review of the pedal and some settings that seem to work pretty well (for me, anyway! :) ).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    CunniMingus and Bo0tsy like this.
  17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Just preordered one - cant wait! Supposedly arrive in september for the batch in the works now.

Spectrum, Al Krow and jbybj like this.
  18. My band has been summer slacking lately and we got together today for the first time in a few weeks to do a little songwriting and audition a new guitarist (side note, this guy actually learned a couple of our songs before ever meeting us, he has tone and chops, I think he's a keeper!) and go over a few older tunes.

I ran the Matryoshka through one loop of my Boss LS-2 and through the other loop ran a flanger and bit crusher. Before the LS-2 was a Darkglass b3k. Did the trick for lo fi dreamy slushy sample and hold during key parts of songs. My band really digs this thing. The hardest part is deciding on a patch and sticking with it.

nbsipics, Al Krow and Bo0tsy like this.
  19. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I bought one of these a few months back, and I'm still trying wrap my head around it. This thing is just nuts! :woot:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    bassstation and Spectrum like this.