1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bananana MATRYOSHKA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spectrum, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I do all those sounds with my Future Impact.

adamaarts and BigBeatNut like this.
  2. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass Supporting Member

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I still really want one of these though.

3. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I usually get into synth territory with just an OC-2 kind of analog octave. No dry signal, 100% wet.
    Adding a bit of fuzz and other effects (flanger, tremolo, chorus etc.) is even better to recreate some specific synth sounds. That's the easiest and most natural way to create your own synth tone, but you can get a lot more experimenting with other pedals.
    My idea is to try the same basic combination with my recently acquired Eventide H9 MAX and my Alexander Syntax Error to see if there's an "overlap" between them. I think that the only effect that is unique for the Syntax Error is the bit crusher (which the H9 doesn't have), but it's not tweakable enough for me, definitely a one trick pony. I'm still undecided about selling the Syntax Error, I'll think about that in the next weeks.
    I thought about getting a Matyoshka because it's something completely different, and crazy. It's a dedicated synth pedal, with a specific purpose in mind and more unique sounds (including a bit crusher).
    Plus, it's so tiny that you can easily find some space in your pedalboard.

bass08053 and Bo0tsy like this.
  4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Bit crusher on the bananna was one of my favorite sounds. I also really love just using analogue octave with no dry signal as my main synth sound and then layering things on that. I have an analogue bit crusher that I use and it sounds killer for this. Keyword for me is analogue. All my synth affects are analogue and that is the sound I prefer. Once I realized that was my preference, it was pretty easy for me to build a chain that works for what I like to do.

CunniMingus and bass08053 like this.
  5. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    Have you tried layering the Matryoshka bit crusher on top of your analog octave with no dry signal? Does it work good? From what I've heard it's not just a bit crusher, it's a synth with some bit crusher on top? I wonder if you can use just the bit crusher and remove the synth?
    I like bit crushers but I run a Nano+ board and don't have the space for a dedicated bit crusher. If the Matryoshka works also for this application it would be awesome. What's your analog bit crusher?

6. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    So the dry blend on the bannana was lacking for me. It always sounded super wet or the clean signal just poked through too much. Could not really get the blend I wanted there.

I use the BugCrusher. It is really, really cool.

CunniMingus likes this.
  7. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I remember a video by Janek Gwizdala where he showed that pedal and it was very cool.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  8. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Yeah it really is, but I am a sucker for minimal knob, analogue pedals. The main thing about that combo for me is that I have control. When I turn it on, I know what I will be pushing out of my speakers. My only issue with the Banana, and I talked about it months ago in here, is that I could never control it completely.

It still is a very fun pedal that does a ton of interesting things for it's size.