1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bananana MATRYOSHKA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spectrum, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tmh2oson

Tmh2oson

Apr 25, 2014
    Stokesdale, NC
    Watterson Guitars
    Ahh sweet! So I’m between this and the Dedalo Byte, anyone have experience with both? I’ve read good and bad things about the Byte, I like the thought of a controllable filter/Envelope.

bass08053 likes this.
  2. bass08053

bass08053

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    I was looking at that a while ago. Seems like a great pedal. Would love to try one out. Demos were impressive.

3. Tmh2oson

Tmh2oson

Apr 25, 2014
    Stokesdale, NC
    Watterson Guitars
    I agree, just checked out the 12 minute video that pro guitar shop made and was very impressed. There’s a thread on here though that says someone wasn’t very impressed with the way it tracked

4. Just got one. Very cool. Haven't really tapped into it yet. Seems to have endless potential. I'm trying to think of creative ways to use it. My general question is how or where do you (fellow TB'ers) apply synth sounds in the music you play?

Bo0tsy likes this.
  5. Just got mine today too. It seems super flexible. Only had a couple of hours with it so far but really liking the sound's I can get out of the Matryoshka. Tracking is good. Adding an envelope filter adds even more possibilities. The pedal is tiny but really well made and the controls intuitive. Really very impressed so far, Bananana has done a great job with the Matryoshka.

Al Krow likes this.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

[QUOTE="katonart, post: 20736871, member: 23193]My general question is how or where do you (fellow TB'ers) apply synth sounds in the music you play?[/QUOTE]Synth pedals for bass are typically applied for about an hour in the bedroom when you receive them.
    Another common uses is to record a decent demo when you try to sell them.
    I am amazed at the amount of conversation this pedal gets. The demo shows a very slow tracking and lack of usable tones. This seems to also be the opinion of people who bought it. That it can even be compared to a future impact is beyond me.

arrowsun likes this.
  7. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    So you’ve tried one?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Of course not. I'm eager to hear your demo though.

9. Thanks for your contribution.

10. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    LOL this is exactly what I expected.

11. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    Synth pedals for bass are typically applied for about an hour in the bedroom when you receive them.
    Another common uses is to record a decent demo when you try to sell them.
    I am amazed at the amount of conversation this pedal gets. The demo shows a very slow tracking and lack of usable tones. This seems to also be the opinion of people who bought it. That it can even be compared to a future impact is beyond me.[/QUOTE]
    you're wrong, I played with my matryoshka for probably a total of about 37 hours in my bedroom. you don't know me

wmmj, Bo0tsy, Spectrum and 2 others like this.
  12. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Welcome to music where you can express yourself as you please. Synth pedals are VERY expressive in many ways in regards to it opening up your mind to other sounds. Sure a nice clean bass tone that has “that low-end” fundamental is always essential as we are playing a BASS but just open your mind a bit more and it’s just a Audio output of what you are saying. I just like to talk with subtractive or additive synthesis. Might even make a bass demo now that it’s been played for WAY over an hour.

wmmj, Fiset, Bo0tsy and 1 other person like this.
  13. After bringing this pedal to band practice, my band mates immediately decided we need to build a song or two around this pedal. I wasn't even allowed to say no. Sure it's weird, and sure, a lot of the weirder sounds get in the way of playing normal bass, but you just have to be creative about how you write and arrange the music. I've done it before with other synth pedals, this will do as well.

Or, you could be a traditionalist snob who not only hates the idea of trying new stuff, but has to visit and crap all over other people's threads for no reason whatever, while demonstrating that you don't even know what you're talking about. Good thing nobody here matches this description.

BigBeatNut, Ikkir, Bo0tsy and 5 others like this.
  14. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    Yeah, put me squarely in the camp that is very much enjoying what this little synth pedal brings to the table. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and have taken my sweet time getting to know it. That's been my goal as it relates to all effects right now...take a good long time to experiment. This morning I ran a Grey Stache into it and hell-lo! Massive synth goodness. I'll record something since this thread could use a little sound to go with words...

_DSC5555.

Edit: I haven't seen a lot bad things said about this peal and sure don't see them popping up in the classifieds (I think I saw one a few weeks ago and that's it).

15. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Speaking of that. I forgot to post this quick demo here here, but so far I am not trying to sell mine.

Tracking is not slow though. It is actually really good.

Lack of usable tones? Subjective opinion, really. I have found some things that work pretty well on gigs - notably the pitch with a 5th up or detuned, and the distortion.

Some things I have learned since recording this - the output 2 was on max and the direct bass sound was blended up to 75%. I have since dialed down the output 2 a little. It can get overpowering quickly.

This pedal is really going to matter on what your gig is. There is a lot of jazz/funk/house hybrid stuff going on down here and so it works quite well at times when I engage it.

The biggest challenge of this pedal is taming it and getting the sounds to fit into the overall mix of the band. I think there is a balance between retaining the low end and mids of the natural bass while changing the sound to a synth. It is going to be the ultimate challenge for synth pedal makers because it's not easy at all. I personally am not a huge fan of blends on pedals (due to how it can sometimes make the effect sound too thin and "stacked on top" of the natural bass tone instead of integrated as one big sound), and that is the one thing that I think will be polarizing about this one for people.

16. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Just pre-ordered! :whistle:

17. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    V. nice demo. In addition to being the only thing so far that's made me think this pedal might be worthwhile.

Sounds interesting ... where is 'down here' exactly (or approximately) ?

18. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    You did tame it! What color were you using on this? (I only think in colors since getting one.) when I look at it on my board, I think, "nice crazy fuzz" unless I have it set on red (or sequencer), whatever. For fitting in with the modular synth crowd.

19. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I think it was orange or red. I can't remember now unfortunately. I enjoy both of those sounds though for sure!

20. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I wonder if this pedal can be used like a normal octave down pedal, like an OC-2. It does so many crazy things that is really hard for me to understand what it does, to be honest. :)

Seanbassplayer likes this.