Band fired me now needs my help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by SMILEYSIXX, Sep 8, 2010.

1. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    So recently, I joined this new band. They sound awesome, have a weekly gig at minimum, are totally dedicated... it's awesome.

But I was with this other band before, and they knew I was joining to try and get out into music as much as possible, because music is such a big part of my life.

Well, I hear from a friend that this old band has practice. No one notified me. I talk to my friend in the band. Here's his response: "Well, you joined this other band. You're obviously not dedicated enough to our band." :eyebrow: Because being in two bands is a superhuman feat impossible for any mere mortal such as myself.

So they tell me they have a new bassist. It's the guitarist's younger brother. He knows nothing about bass, but is the only person they know aside from me who owns a bass. Okay, whatever. So I give them my "best of luck, hope it works" speech.

So I get a text from the guitarist. "Can you teach someone how to play bass?" I knew exactly where this was going. They want me, their former bassist, to teach their new bassist how to play because he doesn't know how. It's not a matter of "Can I do it?" because I know exactly what kind of bassist they need.

So my dilemma: Do I help?

These guys were pretty close friends (one was, still is, and will be my best friend despite what happens here) but I feel pretty disrespected by what they did. I don't wanna be a jerk and say "F**k off" but that's really what I'm tempted to do. Advice?

2. i'd say that since i'm in a band i have no time....it would be beyond any mere mortal to play in a band and teach bass on the side....

3. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    No.

4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Kinda like this...

If you're still willing to play with them, you might want to have that talk - they decided (without you) that you didn't have time for them.
    Might be worth an open conversation about that, which *might* come to a good resolution for you all.

Otherwise - if you're out because (they decided that) you don't have time to play, then whether you have time to teach (which will take a lot more effort IMO) is entirely up to you.

5. edot3021

edot3021

Jan 29, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Glenn Campbell offered to teach Sid Vicious how to play the Sex Pistols songs. Sid never took him up on the offer though.

Be the bigger man and teach the kid how to play. I think $25/half hour sounds fair.

6. mussla

mussla

May 10, 2010
    No way. Sounds like a talk with the band or select member(s) would be in order

7. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Sure... Teach him to play bass... What do teachers make per lesson these days? It may be a way for you to make a few extra $$

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Your response: "Well, I could teach someone how to play bass, but y'see, I just joined this band and I don't know if Im dedicated to you enough to teach someone how to play all the parts I wrote..."

Then tell them to either accept that its possible for a bassist to be in more than one band at once and take you back, or look in the yellow pages for a bass teacher*.

*edit: Or like other have asked, charge them.

9. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    If they were paying me, then this situation would be easier.

The first thing I asked was how much were they willing to pay. The guitarist stared at me, confused and said "Nothing." as if I was asking an absurd question.

10. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Teach him to play, but charge an hourly rate + half of the bass players gig purse for a year. Otherwise, you sound too busy with your "other band." haha

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Now you really don't have the time

12. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Yeah, my schedule suddenly got a lot more booked when he said that :smug:

13. Sure, teach him how to play. Just not your parts.

Start with Notation. After a few months begin to introduce theory via Jazz Composition.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    This. If you're going to be someone's bass teacher, you need to name a price.

EDIT: I read the "no pay" post. I'd have to turn that request down unless they were really good friends of mine/family.

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Be businessman and take their money if you have the time.;)

16. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Maybe I'm just reading the OP wrong, but did you tell your original band mates you were joining another band? I could see them being bitter if you never told them, and that was their reaction.

Regardless, if they gave you the boot because they assumed you wouldn't have time because of the other band, well that's a different story. I would say take the high road and respectfully tell them you'll teach him for a fair amount of money. If he/they don't want to pay you, tell them there are plenty of other teachers.

17. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    Erm, I think you've got the wrong Glen there.

But to the OP, I may be a very, very petty man but it's a simple two word response to your ex-bandmates from me.

18. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    I guess I wasn't really clear there. I told them about this band. In fact, one of my band members knew about it from me and the band's keyboardist too. The entire band was well aware of the situation.

19. IbanezBass69

IbanezBass69

Jul 14, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would tell them to eat it. No pay to teach, and they booted you in a crappy way, for a crappy reason, and replaced you with someone who probably can't tune, much less play or hold his bass. No pay, no teach. Period, I don't care how close of friends they are/were.

20. jazzblade

jazzblade

Jun 21, 2005
    Northern Cal
    As long as you were up-front with them and not leaving them in a spot, my conscience would be clear.

If you want to help the new guy for a couples hours that would be cool. Otherwise, I think some kind of payment is in order for your time. (since your not superhuman and all.)

EDIT; I don't like to burn my bridges unless someone has been a real Ass**** to me. :) You never know someplace down the road etc.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021