Bandmix success stories? Tips and pointers?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bruiser Stone, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    I’ve had a basic Bandmix subscription for a couple of years, and this morning, I upgraded my membership and refreshed my profile information to hone in on other musicians with similar interests.

Some of my challenges are a lean body of prior gigging experience, a full-time job as an attorney that demands most of my Monday-Friday time, my age (42), and that I live in a rural county.

Some of my strengths are maturity, a willingness to learn material, nice gear, my contribution to the management end of a prospective band with my legal expertise, and though I live in a small community, it is within 2 hours of Nashville and also within 20 minutes of a very large lake/fishing/resort scene.

I say all of the above not to promote myself in this forum, but knowing my profile, can anyone chime in with their own experience using Bandmix to search and meet other musicians? Has it been worth the subscription? Any suggestions regarding its personal promotion options? I would be particularly interested in hearing from other small-town artists.

Thx!

Bassaga likes this.
  2. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Not sure this will be at all useful to you, but here goes:
    I got a bandmix membership about 10 years ago. Just the basic stuff. A year or so in, I sorta forgot I had it. I was looking for a touring opportunity. I got a bite from a New Country guy, passed the audition, and then was offered a contract. I showed it to a lawyer friend who told me to take it if I didn't mind being an indentured servant for the next two years. I did mind, and that was the end of that. A year later, I got a call out of the blue from a bar band based in Hartford CT. They were apologetic: No touring, but lots of work. Fine by me! Passed the audition, joined the band, and I'm still with them. (Last year, of course, was a disaster. But the 2021 calendar is starting to fill up.)

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  3. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thank you! Nice to hear a success story.
    Just to clarify: this second opportunity was the direct product of Bandmix?

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Yeah, they got my phone number from Bandmix. I was totally surprised by the call. (PS: I found out later--like months later--that they'd auditioned 25 bassists ahead of me. I was the only one who came prepared with the five songs they wanted me to learn. What's that line about 90% of success is showing up?)

bassdeal, ELG60, One Way and 2 others like this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    So true! The stars align if a) the auditioner knows the material and b) the band also knows the material.

So rare it's a bit of a cliche.

I have a Bandmix page; I was contacted once during the pandemic and I retooled my bio lately to reflect my desire to do live music again. So far I haven't gotten together with the guy who contacted me but I expect to have him out to audition later in the spring.

Bruiser Stone and Bunk McNulty like this.
  6. I've had a Bandmix profile for about 10 years or so. It's never been much use to me until recently. For the last couple months I've paid the monthly fee to be able to send messages. (I was looking for a guitarist). Ultimately I didn't find what I was looking for but the interactions were much better than Craigslist. I was also recently contacted on Bandmix by someone looking for a bass player. We met and talked but it didn't work out.

The good thing - It never crossed my mind that meeting someone could be dangerous. I can't say the same about some Craigslist interactions.

As for tips and tricks I would say add as much detail as you can (audio and video) and keep your page current.

7. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    It sounds like:
    1. Preparation
    2. Patience

No. 2 is where I get tripped up.
    I don’t want to be over-eager and commit to a situation that isn’t what I want, but I know sometimes the soup needs a little stirring.

Thanks again for the collective input so far.

Renaissance and Bunk McNulty like this.
  8. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    Chance favors the prepared.

Bunk McNulty and Bruiser Stone like this.
  9. In my area, decidedly rural - bandmix is.... uh... not an arena who aspire to play beyond their moms basement.

Bruiser Stone and bolophonic like this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Like CL or any other source, there's a lot of chaff with the wheat.

11. lfmn16

lfmn16 Suspended

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    When you're looking for a band, leave no stone unturned. Craigslist, Bandmix, word of mouth, open mics. My beef with Bandmix is asshats like the one below that post a laundry list of the instruments they are supposedly looking for with no description of what they have or what they really want. I don't know if they are stupid, lazy or both. Really, you want bagpipes, trombone, accordion, ukulele, harp, clarinet????

bandmix copy.png

crucislancer, ELG60 and Bruiser Stone like this.
  12. Bruiser Stone

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    :roflmao:
    Agreed, but I admit bagpipes intrigue me. Care for a wee dram of Bon Scott?

lfmn16 likes this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Suspended

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    What are the best bagpipes for metal?

14. mike o

mike o Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    I was a bandmix member for many years. I did get a couple of very good leads and joined one band. So, it kind of works. Lots of misses, flakes and worst of all, folks miss representing who they are and the opportunity’s. Amazing how may people consider themselves experts. I’ve performed over 1,000 show over many years but never considered myself an expert. Now that I think about it, I used BM more as a resume to share on Craig’s ad’s.

15. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Screenshot_20210504-021358_Chrome.jpg

lfmn16 and Bruiser Stone like this.
  16. I've had a BM account for 4 -5 years and only had one contact from someone talking about touring but obviously had no clue. Asked him several pertinent questions about "touring ", management, pay scale, rehearsal etc and got nothing back in response. Most of the profiles are for obvious beginners and the obviously clueless. Found a great opportunity on Craigslist and still playing with that group, currently booked every available weekend well into October. It might be a good forum in other parts of the country but it's a total joke where I'm located.

17. 1st Experience: About 5 years ago (in my mid-50's) a coworker who is also a bassist told me about BandMix when I mentioned I was thinking about getting into playing in a band again (after a 20 year hiatus). I signed up and before long was contacted by a band looking to replace their bassist who was moving out of state to retire. They were all in their 50's/60's and played Classic Rock, Americana, some Grateful Dead, etc. I learned some of the songs in their list and went to meet them and, essentially, audition. It turned out they were great guys, about the same level of musical skill as me. I joined and spent the next two years with them and had a blast. It was a wonderful experience. Like me, they had demanding professional careers, so we practiced every Saturday night (unless someone was out of town) and gigged every month or two. Any money we made from gigs went into upgrading our sound system. It was so fun, not only to be playing in a band again and stretching my abilities, but also hanging out with the guys. They encouraged me to sing lead vocals on some songs and that was a very positive growing experience. I'm a songwriter and they liked my songs and added some of them to the list, which felt great. After two years I decided to leave the band, to focus on original music by starting a band with my wife (and also I was beginning to have trouble with tinnitus and wanted a lower volume situation). I found my own replacement (via a Facebook group for area bassists) and have remained in touch with all of the guys. During the pandemic, the lead guitarist and I did some jamming together online, just for fun.

While I was in that band I was contacted by a couple of other bands seeking a bassist, but I was happy where I was at and eventually cancelled my BandMix account.

I'm in the Seattle area, so big city and more musicians, but on the other hand it takes forever to get anywhere. What this can mean is that when trying to attract other musicians, even through they might only live 10 or 15 miles away, they might consider that too far because of the traffic. It was an hour drive each way to/from weekly practices with that first band, but I didn't mind. I used the driving time to practice my singing.

2nd Experience: My wife (who is a keyboardist/singer/songwriter) and I decided to start our own band (we met 30+ years ago when playing in a band together) to do our own songs, which we had written over the years. We setup a new account on BandMix and advertised for a drummer/percussionist. Before long we got a response from a guy who had just moved to the area (very near us) to retire after living in Europe for twenty years. He is a great drummer/percussionist and a super nice guy, and he likes our weird songs. We rehearsed with him once a week for a few months and then started booking gigs (coffee shops, breweries, etc.) and getting very positive responses. Then COVID hit and it all ground to a halt. Last night we got back together for our first practice in over a year, and it was wonderful. So we're picking up where we left off. He is retired and has a lot more free time, and loves playing, so he has joined a couple of other bands via BandMix--all older people who practice once a week and gig once a month or so.

So I've had very positive experiences with BandMix. One thing we've never had luck finding on BandMix is a guitarist, but I attribute that to the fact that we're doing original music and it doesn't fit into the typical categories, so it will take a special kind of guitarist (who also doesn't live too far away). But we're content to muddle along as a trio for now.

One thing that frustrates me is when musicians post on BandMix but don't upload any audio or video samples. When I got on BandMix the first time around I dug out some old recordings I had done in bands "back in the day" and uploaded them (with a disclaimer that they were old but at least showed that I could play). In this day of iPhones/Androids there is no excuse for not making some audio or video, even if it's just noodling around or playing along with someone else's recording--enough to give a fair idea of one's skill level and style.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021