1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barefaced cabs-which one of the two would you get ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GRAHAM SG1, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Super Twelve T

33 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. Compact and Midget rig

23 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I have a decision to make and wondered what you people would buy given the choice ?

I am looking at buying either a Barefaced Super Twelve T or a Compact/Midget rig .

Ideally I want a one cab solution to go with my Ampeg PF500 but the very light weight of the two smaller cabs is appealing, I know either choice will sound great, the Compact/Midget rig is about £200 more expensive but not a single cab solution, I could live with that given the portability, I suppose there would be times when just one of the smaller cabs would be ok ? also I could buy the Compact now and get the Midget at a later date so dont have such a big outlay now .

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Here's a vote for the Super12. 'Tis neither large nor heavy and it's a one cab solution that'll take what your amp has to throw at it. With it's fairly narrow width and even shorter depth, it'd be an easy slide in the back seat of any compact car....maybe even the trunk. (Boot for you across the pond).

That's how I'd go unless you play a lot of small gigs where a single 12 can do it. My current gigging rig is a pair of 112's. Driver's are emi. DeltaliteII2512's. Maybe not quite as high output as Alex's but quite good and I end up using both 95% of the time. There's only one tiny place we've played so far where I've only needed one.

If you have a lot of gigs in tiny pubs or coffeeshops, consider the separates, otherwise, the Super12(T).

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'm sure you know, whichever you choose will be absolutely top-notch.

4. Super 12 vote from myself.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Having no experience with Barefaced cabs, but while a 'one cab solution' and an 'easy load in 2 cab solution' are both of interest by the OP, it seems pretty appropriate to mention that the compact or midget are actually both one cab solutions for most non-agro loud as snot applications.

Unless you're going for a huge, deep, loud thing then either of these cabs should keep up for most jams and certainly all acoustic performances. They were designed to work together without phase issues, so it's a seemingly great modular rig that fits into a hatchback with a guitar&amp, cajon, bass, guitar, small PA/vocal combo amp, and 3 players with ease with loads of low end...unless you're all 300 lbs and the hatchback is a sub subcompact.

6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

My Barefaced Big One is almost exactly the same size and similar weight as the Super Twelve. It is, without doubt, the easiest cab that I've ever had to lug around.

I also have a pair of Eden CX110's that I used to use as a small rig, they are only 15" cubes that weigh 26lbs each, but even though they are smaller and lighter, bizarrely, they feel heavier and more cumbersome than the Barefaced cab.

I'd go for the Super 12, it really will be easy to move.

7. redcloud

redcloud

Oct 6, 2011
    The Super 12 isn't really that big, but it is nice to have options. I suppose that is why I voted for the Compact/Midget rig. Either way you be pleased.

8. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Barefaced are all smokin' cabs. I have a Compact and it is very loud and deep for a single driver cab. Plenty loud for most rock gigs by itself. It's my single cab solution. Your Ampeg will run out of gas before the cab will. Put a Midget on top and it'll get so stupid loud you'll need to wear hearing protection. Actually, the Compact/Midget rig is a bit louder than a Super Twelve because the 15 + 12 will push more air than a pair of 12's. In addition the modular rig would be more flexible; it gives you 3 options. As good as the Super Twelve sounds it is restricted to one option. Add the benefit of stretching out payment over time as you mentioned, and that would be my choice.

9. Fro 20

Fro 20

Feb 23, 2009
    Buffalo, New York
    the midget/compact will be a bit louder (is 2db more sensitive), and handle a bit more power, but the super 12 will extend just a bit lower. Your style of music and playing style would probably factor into the choice too, along with the $, potability and anything else you mentioned.

10. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Thank you for your valuable input :)

I am edging towards the Compact/Midget rig for several valid reasons;

The Super Twelve is 100mm too tall for the space I allocate for storing my band gear, I cannot modify the space as the family need their space too :rollno::D

I believe the Compact/Midget rig will; be 220mm higher which I like as my amp will be easier to see and the sound will be nearer to my ears .

The 27 and 22lbs for the Compact/Midget is lighter than the 42lbs for the Twelve, not a huge amount I know but after lugging all the PA and monitors a welcome relief.

I could buy the Compact first at £570 instead of laying out £915 for the Super Twelve, I dont have £915 yet :rollno::D

One more question;

I use an Ampeg PF500 which has only one speakon output, do the Compact and Midget have dual speakons so I could daisy chain both cabs when using as a rig .

11. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    sorry if I speak out of the choir. But, I know the Barefaced owner (called Alex Claber? maybe?) would be super happy to collect your questions. he is a Tber but it is possible that he does not know about this thread, he is a busy man I think. So, better to ask himself directly sending him an email. Simple, effective, clear

12. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway

+1. Alex is very helpful, and knows his stuff. Literally;)

13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Having previously owned a Compact, I will agree it is loud considering its size and portability aspects, but I would disagree that it is deep. I would say it ranges from "even" to a slight low-mid bump. Not what I would call deep... of course I play fEARfuls so maybe I am just so used to the beauty of their low end that others fall short.

Great cab, lots of grindy high mids other than that fairly even overall. Its the lightest, most portable yet great sounding cab I have owned.

To the OP, I would either get the super 12 or TWO Compacts. Two of them would be AWESOME. Personally, I would not want to use only a single Compact unless its a small venue or you have the bass in the PA. It would probably do okay otherwise, but I just prefer a bigger 'pillow' under the band.

Get two or the Super 12 IMO. Also 42lbs is very light. My 15/6 is 39 and its a breeze to move. I wouldnt let the 42 influence you.

14. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    I have sent Alex an email-thanks

We do not run anything other than vocals through the PA so my rig is what the punters will hear, so it has to be good :), there is no scope logistically to upgrade the PA system to run instruments through it .

I think the Compact first then later either another one or a Midget, easier to find £570 at the moment :)

15. Do it! :bassist:

16. Off topic but I want a Dubster soooo bad

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Graham, check your spam filter - you've emailed the same questions three times and we've replied twice, and now just twigged that you might not be getting our responses!

18. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Thanks Alex, you are right, I have been so rushed today that I had not thought to check !
    I have had a few probs with sending to certain email addresses, for some reason they become corrupted and dont get sent, I thought you were one of them, our IT company had been checking it out recently .
    I will shortly place an order .

I now know what to buy, a Compact, I just thought to measure the inside of my car and the Super Twelve is too tall to get in my car, I always have to put my cab/s in standing upright due to carrying all the PA and stands, monitors, bass gear etc, the Compact will fit easily and give me extra needed room, if I need a Midget or another Compact as well then no problem .

19. It's all awesome stuff... buy with confidence.

20. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

May 3, 2010
    Change of plan :D

I have spent the last 20 minutes with a tape measure, the car is now no problem, I will get a Super Twelve T with nice silver cloth :D
    I was not sure whether to have the tweeter or not but I would rather not have regrets later on :D

Does anyone in the UK want to buy a TC Electronics BH500 with a pair of BC212s for a gargain price :)

Alex, you will get my deposit tomorrow morning, I have had to sell a kidney to buy this :hyper: