1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barry Adamson - What Did He Use?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I love Magazine, and have always really rated Barry Adamson.

Does anyone know what gear he used on the original LP's?

I remember seeing a repeated TV clip in which he used (what I have been informed) was an Ric 4001S Ibanez copy, but I'd love to know how he got his recorded tone.

I always thought he was a Ric man - but apparently he wasn't!

On the recent reunion gigs he's been playing a Jag and an Ovation.

Incidentally, I'm quite thrilled to have received my newly-expanded 2-CD version of 'Play' in the post today....looking forward to tucking into that later!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I was a big magazine fan and their very early stuff is more punky and could be a Rick - but by the time they got to their second album - it's clear he is playing fretless, finger style and it is a big feature of many tracks - pushed well to the fore and with masses of flanger/chorus!! Loads of mwah!

I used to try to get this tone in the 80s and could do a good impression with a Westone fretless Thunder III - through chorus and flanger!! :p

I think that was the Ovation though - you can see it clearly in this vid :

Probably my fav Magazine bass line apart from Permafrost...?

3. Thanks for that Bruce.

No doubt about it, Mr. Adamson put together some cracking lines!

4. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Is this Barry Adamson the same one who did all the great music on the "Lost Highway" soundtrack? I've been a huge fan of that recording for awhile and always wondered where that Adamson came from.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

He did go on to do a lot of soundtrack recordings after Magazine...his first solo album, which I have on CD is very much like film soundtracks...?

6. jiminyjunk

jiminyjunk

Nov 17, 2017
    I'm a huge Magazine fan, and I love Barry's sound and playing. I asked Dave Formula (keys/synths) from Magazine what fx Barry used on the earlier albums. I always thought it was an MXR Flanger, but Dave told me it was Roland Chorus. Pretty cool to know.