1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini or Aguilar?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sv_heavymetal, Oct 11, 2010.

1. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Aug 27, 2010
    Hi, I've got a Ibanez SR506 with Vari-Mid III Band EQ preamp, and it gives me a low output sound so I'm thinking in change it for an Aguilar preamp or a Bartolini preamp. But, which is better? I was reading in some bassists forums and the users said that Aguilar preamps are better than Bartolini preamps. But I don't know if there is an Aguilar preamp that works well with the vari-mid functions ( I don't know how to explain). The Vari-Mid has bass boost/cut pot in the bottom and in the top a treble boost/cut pot, a middle bosst cut pot in the top and a middle frequency pot in the top, volume master and balance. Does any model of Aguilar preamp have the same caracteristics? aaah and I play Metal, like Iron Maiden and Dream Theater :bassist:, because of the sound the preamps have.

Thanks for answer, I'm not an English speaker, but I tried to be the most specified I can.

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Bartolini. I have had both - in the same bass and others - and I MUCH prefer the Bartolini.

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Ill second the Bart pre.... although I played a modulus with the aguilar pre and bart pups and it sounded great. a bit more aggressive than the bart.

4. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Aug 27, 2010
    Ok, but would the bartolini preamp work well replacing with the vari mid III band eq? I'm thinking in the Bart NTMB.. What do you say?

5. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Aug 27, 2010
    Great, I want a preamp to play Metal, what do you recommend of this two preamps?

6. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    for metal i would absolutely go with the Aguilar.

Then if you want in the future think about some good EMG pups for it.

7. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Aug 27, 2010
    Great, thanks LaklandBass. Do you know how much is an Aguilar pramp approximately in your country?

8. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    if you check bestbassgear.com they have a bunch of options for it

9. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    all pricing there should be US pricing

10. sv_heavymetal

sv_heavymetal

Aug 27, 2010
    The price is in dollars, no?

I'm seeing that the Aguilar OBP-3 preamps come with a switch for middle frequencies and my Vari-Mid hasn't got switch for change... :S:S

11. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Aquilar. The barts are relatively low output preamps. Your wanting hotter output then your stock one. The bart wont give you that. I think the aguilar are better sound wise to myself

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    I'm a big fan of the Aggie OBP-3. In all of my amp demos I do, I use a Mike Lull equipped with this preamp.

It can go from great clarity to great punch and warmth. The head room is great and it is dead quiet.

I think the customer service from Aguilar wins out too.