1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'Bartolini Pickups Paired With Aguilar OBP-3'

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mustBmtd, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Aguilar OBP-3

50.0%
  2. Bartolini NTMB

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Wanting know honest opinions, with pairing the two brands, As to having heard a couple of people say. They would go with the same brand preamp. Would like to hear from bassist who now are using Bart, pickups and the OBP-3 preamp instead of the Bartolini preamp w/Bartolini pickups. Also add opinions on 9v or 18v wiring. Tech hasn't finished my work yet, but I'm having a Bartolini pickup set paired with Aguilar OBP-3 preamp done in one of my basses now. Just don't know what to expect once work is done. Looking for Pros, and Cons. :cool::bassist:

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

I have a few basses with Bart pickups and OBP3's. They are both quality brands. There aren't any inherent cons to them, but the selection of pickups and preamps is Totally Subjective as to what sounds good to you. Some people will love the combination and others will hate it.

There isn't a huge difference between 9v and 18v, but a search will turn up lots of information.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have basses with both pre's. Both are top notch.

Bart gets the nod for me though, simply because it has something the Aguilar does not....an output gain control. To me, this feature is essential to properly adjust your output level to match your pickups. If your pickups are too hot you can turn it down. Too low? Turn it up. Also required in order to level match with other basses.

I like the size of the Aguilar though. Both sound fantastic. If Aguilar would simply add a gain control adjustment, I'd be using more of them in my basses.

4. kesmit

kesmit Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I have both as well and would agree with mmbongo that the gain control on the Barts is a nice feature. Also, I find the Aguilar to boost/cut a bit abruptly just off the center detent. They both sound great though.

5. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I purchased a used Spector Legend Classic 5 with this combo (soap bar)- truthfully I have only played it once in band setting. I put on a set of coated Ernie ball slinkys on it. It sounds great. Cut through nice, but still had a balanced bottom. Compliments from the rest of the band. Set flat, I would describe the tone as modern and slightly growly. I got a very nice low rumble for a reggae tune as well. Overall I am very impressed and will be playing this bass over my others as I dial it in. If I had any complaint, it would be too many tone options.. :)

6. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    I just decided on a Bart/Aguilar combo for my new Roscoe MM bass, because I wanted a more aggressive preamp than the NTMB (which my bass had installed at the factory).
    I feel the OBP-3 is better for rock, but I like Bart pickups.

5523-LG.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    phillybass101 likes this.
  7. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    That Roscoe is NICE!

8. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks!

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Depends on what you want your bass to sound like. Personally, I prefer to match my Bart pickups with Bart preamps. Just wish Bartolini would get with the program and downsize their preamp setups. I don't know how Aguilar and Delano do it. Nice small footprints and they leave a lot of room in the control cavity.

10. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    That Roscoe finish just melts my brain brah - sick! And since your username is Maiden Bass... UP THE IRONS!!!

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Since the decision has already been made and it's already a done deal, why color your own initial impressions with other people's opinions, before you've even had a chance to hear for yourself? Seems to me this kind of question would be far more relevant while you're still at the decision-making stage, trying to figure out whether to give it a try or not - which you are not. IMHO, this would be precisely the time when you don't want to hear from others, each throwing in their own two cents... :eyebrow:

MM

12. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks!

13. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Up the Irons always!!!

14. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I have a OBP3 with Barts in a Bass. Pulled the Barts and installed SGD pickups. Wish the system gain was adjustable, and depending on the Barts you have this may or may not be a problem. I have a preset on my pedal board EQ to raise the gain by about 6dB, and the idea has crossed my mind to take the OPB3 out and replace it with a Bartolini preamp. The tonal spectrum of the OBP works better with the SGD than the Bart pickups, but this is really contingent on the tonal character of the raw pickup itself.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  15. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Nice Axe Dude!!!! Bart Quads, work well with the Aggie OBP3. One of my favorite bass players runs this combo and his slap tone just kills. Wojtek Pilichowski!!!

16. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Banned

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks! I'm actually ordering another Roscoe (I know, I know it's a bad and expensive habit), so this one is up for sale in the classifieds. I know that I'll regret selling this one too!!!

5523-BODY-LG.

17. cromag31

cromag31 Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2014
    orange county New York
    i have barts with aquilar obp3 pre and sounds like poopie! the bart jazz pups are week! i want to put the wide pole delanos in it but i dont play this bass.... so i have not spent the money..

18. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Get a different preamp that has a gain control. Like a Bart.

19. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Different strokes I guess, I have a pair of Bart 9J1 L/S's running through an Aguilar preamp, IMHO it is one of the better pickup/preamp combos money can buy.

20. mwbonsall

mwbonsall Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2000
    Casa Grande, Arizona
    I think they just did that.

Mark