1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bartolini Soapbars - Original Quads or 2J Squared? Or Classic Bass Soapbars?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Art1606, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Hello everyone,
    Please share your experiences if any about Bartolini pickups. What is the difference between Original Quads and 2J Squared? How Classic Bass picks compared to the quads?
    Thank you.

2. fishsome

fishsome

Dec 17, 2003
    Chicagoland Area
    I too am interested in everyone’s experience/personal opinion with these pickups.

3. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Hey, Maybe you can open similar thread and people will reply to you. If so, share the link please. Thanks, Art

4. Ash Mo

Ash Mo Supporting Member

Bump

5. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Reviving this as I, five, am interested.

For a while I was planning to check into Nordstrand Zen Blade pups but recently realized the Bartolini tone (possibly the P25CBC set) may be what Im looking for in this particular bass. Plus they're direct fit, no drilling or anything, unlike the Nordys.

Art1606 likes this.
  6. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    I'm going to try the Bartolini soapbar Jazz pickups in my Surine 5. It's got CBC P4's at the moment wired in parallel but I want a little less bottom and a little more sizzle on the top so I'm going to try the split jazz windings, keep you posted.

Ash Mo and Art1606 like this.
  7. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Hey guys, thanks for your replies. Please let me and others know if and when you try those Barts. If possible the sound samples would be great. Thanks, Art.

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The differences are shown on Bartolini website:

OriginalQuads_Series_CoilsStrings.png
    Original Quads

2J_Squared_Series_CoilsStrings.png
    2J Squared

The Original Quads could be split just like Bart's Original Soapbar series (north coils only or south coils) with 2 additional split options: P split coil and reverse-P split coil.

While the 2J Squared will only be split neck side or bridge side which each side of the split would act like an inline jazz split coil, so each split would always be hum cancelling.

Art1606 and Ash Mo like this.
  9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I can’t give much technical info regarding the Bartolinis that I have in my 6-string basses. The blue Roscoe has their custom wound Barts, which I’ve been told are from Bartolini’s “Classic Bass Series”. The Ristola with the bubinga top has Bartolini’s “Original Series Quad Coils”, and they’re Deep Tone models.

Each bass has what I consider to be Bartolini’s “Signature” tone, but there’s a noticeable difference in tone between them. And surprisingly, to me, the Original Series Quad Coils in my Ristola have a rawer, more aggressive tone.

So if anyone has any questions, I’m happy to pass along what I hear from each of these basses.

4785D930-3CB6-4856-9329-4A9133A25C89.jpeg

Ash Mo and Art1606 like this.
  10. Art1606

Art1606

Oct 6, 2019
    Thank you, Arthur,
    Your info is helpful. I'm very interested to hear some sound samples if you can please. I'm sure others also would love to hear your bass guitars that look absolutely great and stunning, and more of this.
    Thanks again, Arthur.

11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I’ll see what I can do about posting some soundclips.

Art1606 likes this.
  12. As far as the series' go, the Original Series are the typical Bartolini sound. Very mid-range heavy, darker sounding pickups. The Classic Series are their more modern sounding pickups, more lows/highs. I have the Original Quad bright (xxP25cx) pickups in my Tobias Classic V as a replacement for the radius'd stock ones that wore out, def the OG Tobias/Bartolini sound paired with a quad buffer and TCT pre. My main player (MTD Beast 5) has the Classic Series CBJD3 pickups in it, probably the closest thing Bartolini makes to 70's Fender/Marcus Miller sounding j pickups. Still has that signature Bartolini low mid growl, but also has the spank people expect out of 70's Fender pickups.

Arthur U. Poon and Art1606 like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021