1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass 2012 Copenhagen

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by robobass, Aug 13, 2012.

1. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    It's sad that there has been basically no mention on TB of this huge event which starts tomorrow.
    http://www.bass2012.eu/?Start
    I'll be there for the first three days and post some photos and commentary when I return.

2. mjt0229

mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Have fun! I visited Copenhagen last year and loved it. Unfortunately, as an amateur with limited resources and a day job, it didn't make sense to try to go.

3. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    I'm going. Can't wait! Amittidly, it's a shorter trip over from the UK than it is from the US.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Sure, from Cologne it's also quick and cheap. Just look at that list of artists though. Many coming from far away. Pretty impressive. Just to be able to see Kristin Korb in person will make my week!

5. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I looked through the calendar.. I want to go so bad!!

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Robo, waiting for your review and photos.
    :hyper:

7. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    Been pretty damn good so far.

Spent last night drinking beer in the excellent company of Nick Lloyd, Martin Penning and Dan Hachez. This morning caught a Micheal Klinghoffer and Jeff Bradetich workshop (both were outstanding). Got to watch Mark Dresser go to town on a Lloyd bass, he's incredible.
    Got a great informal lesson from Zoltan Deckany, who I've admired for years now.
    Then finished the afternoon off hearing Tom Martin play Bottesini and Kriston Korb swinging hard.

All of this is happening inside the stunning Opera House with beautiful view of the city and ocean. Great weather, the Danes are fantastic as well.

Caught the water taxi back To pretty much outside my hostel. Quick swim and out for some food/beer again.

Been an amazing first day and I got three more days still to come.

8. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Extremely jealous, Gcordez.

9. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Copenhagen's great! I just visited for the first time while their jazz fest was incidentally going on. The whole town really turned into jazz central. It was like being in some bizarro world where people like jazz! Is Europe just that cool? Why don't we do like that in New York??

10. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    Another great day in the opera house. Congrats to Penning/Lloyd who won an award for thier 5 stringer. Had a private lesson with the great Arild Andersson (lovely bloke too!) and got to hear some top players like Mark Dresser, Barre Phillips, Phil
    Palombi, Micheal Klinghoffer.

Fell in love with Jean Aurays basses too.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Congratulations to Upton Bass as well! They tied with Pollman for first place from the player jury.

12. Jonathan74

Jonathan74

Apr 19, 2011
    Denmark
    attachment.

Nick lloyd´s award winning bass in Copenhagen.

Attached Files:

13. Jonathan74

Jonathan74

Apr 19, 2011
    Denmark
    Nick Lloyd and David Gage with a Patrick Charton travel bass visible in the background.
    The second picture shows a range of Martin basses

Attached Files:

14. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    That bass was a collaboration between the excellent Nick Lloyd and the equally
    excellent Martin Penning. Was delighted for both of them as well as the outstanding Poellman bass. Top notch makers and great people too!

15. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Kontrabass-Atelier, Lando Music (Germany)
    I've just returned from Copenhagen and posted some photos at my www.kontrabassblog.de website. Had a really nice time there.
    Jonas

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks, Jonas!

17. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    I had to leave before the best stuff got going, but at least I got to see some great recitals and two wonderful jam sessions at Jazzhouse. Probably the coolest thing about the event was the quality of the instruments used in the performances. There were some world-class bass shops there presenting, and they were happy to lend out their top instruments - ancient and modern - to artists for recitals and master classes. You not only got to hear these basses, but for the most part you were also welcome to pick them up and try them yourself. It was excellent!

18. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Left: Nick Lloyd/Martin Penning bass, best in tone from makers jury

Right: Gary Upton Bass, best in tone from players jury.

Congrats again to these makers! :)

LLoydUptonCopenHagen.