1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass amp/head decision help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebrince, Apr 22, 2009.

1. thebrince

thebrince

Apr 21, 2009
    Suwanee, Ga
    Hey everyone, help me out here on making my decision.
    Im currently playing on a peavy combo 300. it has 1 15" black widow speaker and its kind of going to **** :crying:so yeah im gonna sell it away. anyway
    My playing style is punk, grunge, and, industrial....a tiny bit of metal.
    I been thinking of getting the gallien Krueger 10001 rb head
    and for a cab, the gallien krueger Neo212-II 2x12 and the Neo 410 4 x 10.
    both of those cabs have different frequency response and i plan on having the bi amp on only one of them so i can have two different tones.:D

then again i have a bunch of people telling me go with ampeg, yes ampeg sounds great but i like haveing a dirty muddy punchy sound wit lots of bottom too....the sound i got from the Gk when i tried it in the store.....can you get this kind of sound with an ampeg?:confused:

is there any other brand of amps you may recommend for me to try out.........thats not peavy or Markbass amp:spit:...lol
    any tips you can give helps, i wanna make sure i buy something im gonna be happy with untill my hands break down with arthritis and i cant play anymore lol

2. Revelation64

Revelation64

Jan 17, 2009
    Hey I love peavey. I'll say check out the vb-2 tons of bottom and overdriving the clean channel is fun.

I found the ampeg svt cl(i think it's that model) 300 watt tube amp does that pretty well. There's one on the floor in my gc. So that's my only experience with it though.

3. I'm not surprised people have been saying go with an Ampeg. They are more versatile than people give them credit for. Barring that, the GK wouldn't be a bad idea, seeing as alot of metal guys dig them, but if you could find yourself a decent Trace Elliott head, I'd hit that up. Cheaper than the Ampeg, but a bit harder to find seeing as I don't believe they are made anymore. Just as versatile IMO though. Ampeg or TC would be the way to, in my opinion of course :p

4. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    IMO the GK RB is most likely a perfect amp for the kind of music you described and if that is the sound you like then go for it. Ampeg has been the standard for many years and it is no surpise that a "bunch" of people tell you to go with that but remember they have lots of models and a cranked up balls to the wall all tube overdriven SVT or even V4B is NOT the same as a bedroom level solid state B2.

And BTW I have nothing but love for Peavey. I have a 1973 F800B head that is an absolute ballbuster. :bassist:

5. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    The one thing you really need to do ...is to find a store and take your Guitar, and try as many possible amp/speaker combination's as you can ...trust your ears ...not what everyone say's you should sound like ... I've got one of those Combo 300 ...great little amps...the only thing I've had to do to it, is have the controls cleaned ever 5-6 years ( they get scratchy ) and I've only had to recone the speaker, after all, it was 25 years old ...now it sounds like new ( get the big rig ...but keep that combo ...get it serviced ...because you will play small gigs and that amp is perfect stuff like that )

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The only way you're going to be able to do that is to take your bass to music stores and try out all the different brands they have and also mix and match different brand heads with different brand cabinets.

7. thebrince

thebrince

Apr 21, 2009
    Suwanee, Ga
    how many watts is your peavy, mines 300 i think. it has a 15" speaker.
    it was actually giving to me from a friend who was going into the navy. the speaker was blown so i replaced the cone. theres something wrong with it right now not sure what it is. it cuts out and it makes this awful static noise that sounds like if the speaker is blown. i checked the cone and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it...no rips or anything so i really dont think thats the case. and last time i used it, there was a slight smell like if something was burning inside.:rollno::help:

8. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    The older combo's were 210 watts into 4 ohms and 300 into 2 ohms ...on the older amps they had a issue of the speaker connection at the circuit boart vibrating loose ... on mine I took the plug and made the round inserts a little snaller ,with some jeweler's screwdrivers and cleaned the contacts and reinserted the plug and then I put a dap of silcone to hold it in place and I haven't had a problen since ...burning smells .... need to really have a tech look at that .... could be alot of differant things ...make sure that the fuse is a 8 amp and nothing larger ...voice coils will smell that way when burned ...pull the speaker and get a multi-meter and chek for contunity and ohmage ,,,that will tell you some what the condition of the speaker

9. Probably THE best advice you could get dude. I'm not sure about everyone else here, but I know it's my experience that you NEVER buy anything without trying it first. And if for whatever reason the store person says you can't try it, tell them they shouldn't be running a music store

Good luck with the search mate :bassist: