1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Amp Hunting this weekend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blickgang, May 18, 2012.

Used bass amp purchase this weekend

Poll closed May 20, 2012.
  1. Acoustic B200 Combo 1 15

12.7%
  2. Acoustic B200 Head with 4X10 Bottom

87.3%
  1. Blickgang

Blickgang

Apr 9, 2012
    I want a good small gig home recording amp and I have 2 in mind

Used Acoustic B200 Combo w/1 15
    Used Acoustic B200 Head and 4 10 bottom

The 1 15 is close to home.

Thanks for your input!

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Try them and see.... sorry I haven't used either so I didn't vote.

I'd imagine the 410 will be louder, but the 115 should get better dispersion of lows.

Someone will have an opinion, don't fret.:p

3. I'd go with the B200 Head and 410 cab setup. It would be great for recording and also if you ever want to use it to gig with. But if you love the 15's and it fits better to you then by all means go for that.

4. Blickgang

Blickgang

Apr 9, 2012
    CRAP! This one jumed on the RADAR: GK BACKLINE 350 BASS HEAD AMP and 410 BLX-II CABINET

5. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Get the GK.

6. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    moved to Amps

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Nope.
    Lows are omnidirectional.

OP: Try each setup and get whatever best fits your needs/taste.

8. I don't recommend acoustic stuff. The amp heads are rated at 2 ohms, not 4 or 8 like most amps. So, unless youre using 2 ohm cabs, your arent actually getting 200 watts. I'd recommend fender, ampeq or gk stuff way over acoustic. Just my .02

9. Blickgang

Blickgang

Apr 9, 2012
    Zach, are you absolutely sure about that?

10. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Me thinks the B200 is 4 ohm. The b600 does 2 ohms.

11. Blickgang

Blickgang

Apr 9, 2012
    Yeppers

12. new acoustic is not the same as the original brand.
    Go with GK or Ampeg or some other brand used.
    400RB blows those things out of the water.

13. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    I have the Acoustic B200 1x15 combo.

It works great for small rooms in conjunction with my P copies strung with flats. For the time being I'm driving a compact 4 banger so I need a small combo.

But...

I'd much rather have a separate head and pair of cabinets I could run together for larger rooms.

(I probably could fit something around the size of an Eden system in my Nissan, saving the pennies...)

I've read that running an extension cabinet off the Acoustic combo isn't such a good idea, that running two cabs with an Acoustic head would be a better idea. And, you'd probably want one with more juice to do that.

If you want a system with more flexibility for a broader range of musical/playing styles, go for the GK.

14. Pretty much agree with what Fender Bassist said.

For home recording, both Acoustic combo & heads offer pre-amp out; Also used for D I to go into PA for additional reinforcement if needed.

For simplicity: Combo. For variety: Head and cabinet seperates.

I have owned Acoustic B200 combo since 2009..LOVE IT.
    Tone bank for both is 6 bands of semi parametric tone control.

Most bang for the buck. Surprisingly loud for something so small. Glad it has Gain knob for play-at- home use...LOL...

Handles B string well. Has active /passive inputs. Blew away every combo amp in GC day of my purchase; GK, Mark Bass included. Frankly, I like Mark bass tone, but farted-out on B String AND COST 3 TIMES MORE..NO WAY!!! Glad I chose GC Acoustic.

I also own 1974 Acoustic 370 head...Still good as when new.

Over the years, I developed bass players back..now thankfully cured.. as well as pulling a hernia, thus the combo choice. Combo weighs less than my 370 head alone...LOL..

15. If I had it to do over - I would have bought the B-600H (600Watts/2Ω) and added a pair of B-410s.

I have a pair of B-115s ow, and although they are good - they won't take high input before they pass gas (fart).

I originally bought the B-450 combo - which is great and has the B-600H inside it and goes to 2Ω too. Having twin 410s and twin 115s, I can say that the 410s are a heap better for high volume.

IF one were to buy the B-450, I'd also get the B-115 to go under it. A pair of 10s on top of the single 15 are pretty good matches.

Besides more power, I like that the B-600H and the B-450 have a switch to turn off the Notch Filter, while the B-200H or the B-200 combo do not.

Still though---> the B200H can cause serious ear damage and it will drive a pair of B-410s pretty well.

16. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    I have an Acoustic B100 and for what it is, it is pretty great. I took it to a jam with friends and it totally amazed me. I got it on Craigslist for $110 used and it will probably be my bedroom practice amp, but it's good enough for small gigs too. The B200 is at least, a safe bet, I would think. Either one!

17. Dingo 8 my bass

Dingo 8 my bass

Feb 2, 2012
    Though it is painfully subjective, IMHO you can't go wrong with this advice.

18. Yup - what was your first clue? They are not the same.

As far as the GK and Ampeg - I didn't buy into them and their gear since they didn't sound like what I wanted.

The Acoustic gear is fine - powerful and relatively inexpensive as a loss leader for GC and MF.

I've got a few years with mine now and I keep adding to the lineup - in GC Acoustic, that is. Plus they look good.

I'm happy.

I didn't kick your feed dish - did I?

19. Davbassdude

Davbassdude

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    I hate to burst any bubbles, but I've never been a big fan of the Acoustic amps, except perhaps the 370. If you're looking for a great used 200 Watt solid state amp that won't break your piggy bank, I would strongly recommend the Peavey Mark IV. I used one for years to power an old SVT (8-10") cabinet. That sucker never quit, and I used it for gigs everywhere! I'm sorry, you were looking for a small gig home recording amp. Ampeg has a new B-15 Portaflex combo, that I would love to have. I'm still using the old 1960's B-18N, but I mostly only use it at home. I don't want to push it too much anymore. Besides, it deserves to be treated with deference and respect, so I now go easy on her.