Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass channel is noisy

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by scraig, Apr 1, 2005.

1. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    I am getting a some unwanted noise thru the bass channel. I don't notice it thru other channels. The best way to describe it is a metal ball bouncing on a metal surface and this orrurs when a note is played on the bass. It is not extremely bad and only noticable when the channel is on solo. It is not the bass and I do not believe it is the preamp unless it comes and goes. Here is the way the system is wired: bass, Demeter preamp, balanced output to a three-way splitter, the splitter goes to a monitor board, main board, and TV/video board. The monitor and main board is a Soundcraft and the TV/video board is a Yamaha 01V. I believe the noise is on the TV/video board only. The sound guy has not noticed it on the other boards.

Shane

2. tvs and amps don't mix well but i don't know how it plays into recording. what i'm talking about is take your bass (if it's passive) and put a remote buy it and start switching channels, you'll hear a little beep

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I love those desks!

The noise you're describing could possibly be digital distortion caused by clipping the O1V's input section. I've seen it happen before on digital desks which allow you to save your settings and re-call them later. A lot of people don't realise that on the O1V, the input gain settings are excluded from the save/recall function. So if for example someone else used the desk, ran a low level instrument through the channel you use for bass, then may have cranked up the input gain, believing it would reset itself when you recalled your band's settings.

I'm only guessing.

4. scraig

scraig

Apr 15, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    We do not typically run the Yamaha 01V's high on the input level, and certainly not on the output. I will keep an eye out on this since you describe this as digital distortion. You could be right. I also hear similar sounds on a diigital multitrack Tacam DA-88. Are the input levels too high for the DA-88 to handle? This sound is an "electrical snapping" sound when a note is played? From my experience in troubleshooting the problem, "snapping" noises occured at all recording levels on the DA-88. It sounds electronic.

Shane