1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Compressor, Which One?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Sep 6, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I am torn between a few, I am just a beginner and getting better, I am mainly just playing at home and just looking for a very good compressor *Help me sound better in front of the wife* they all have great reviews, the list as follows - yeah I know they are not cheap, looking for quality and functionality :
    MXR-M87WHT (M76BLK)
    BASS COMPRESSOR
    STUDIO COMPRESSOR

Keeley Bassist Compressor
    Bassist Compressor - Robert Keeley

Diamond BCP-1 Bass Compressor
    Diamond Pedals | BCP1 BASS COMP

Diamond BCP-1 JR Bass Compressor
    Diamond Pedals | BASS COMP Jr

Empress Bass Compressor
    Compressor

Blad51 likes this.
  2. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I am leaning towards the MXR-M87WHT (M76BLK) due to T/B chat and reviews, plus its size and bells and whistles.

Quantized Harmonic and 4dog like this.
  3. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    The Keeley does it for me. Gigged with it for the first time tonight. Very pleased with it. So easy to dial in.

The only other two compressors I've owned are the Barber Tone Press and the DOD Milkbox.

Those were decent but the Bassist ended the hunt.

4. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    They are all good, they just have slightly different personalities. There aren't any bad choices in your list.

Kokoman, lowplaces and Zbysek like this.
  5. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    This one has really peaked my interest: Dark Glass Hyper Lumina Compressor, there has been no word on this compressor yet? Pricing is not bad for all the options, with the USB pc hookup with Dark Glass for custom set ups, the video states Dark Glass will add more software updates.
    Darkglass Electronics

Darkglass, MDBass, kev451 and 3 others like this.
  6. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    If you want to learn how compression works, get M76 or Empress. Visual metering is very useful if you haven't used compression before. And full range of controls will help you to understand how compressors work in general.
    Played both. They were roughly the same in therms of tone and noise. Empress had better functionality (sidechain, parallel compression and wider attack range). M76 has more ratios tho (so it's kind of better as a limiter). But generally if size and cost is not an issue, get Empress (Keeley Compressor Pro is a nice full featured alternative too).

andysick and Fuzzbass like this.
  7. Had a Diamond BCP-1 and sold it to fund a new bass because I 'didn't really need it'. May not need it but I miss it. A Bass Comp Jr will be incoming as soon as they are available locally and I have the funds.

patzilla83 and DrColossus68 like this.
  8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I had the MXR it got replaced by the Keeley, it's just more what I was looking for. Try them out and get the one that does it for you, reading reviews is not bad but could be misleading since what does it for one may not be what does it for you...

lowplaces likes this.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I own both the Empress and Diamond (not the Jr.). For sheer ease of use, I'd go with the Diamond.

Riis

eff-clef likes this.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Of your choices I would go with Empress (which I own) or Darkglass (which I've read about). I tried the Diamond BCP1 but returned it because it was too squishy with my active basses (sounded great with my passives).

Raman and trey-bass like this.
  11. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I went from the MXR m87 to the Lehle Basswitch Dual Band Compressor and couldn’t be more happy. Works a treat with my active and passive basses.

It really does it all from tone enhancing punchy magic to full limiting and it plain sounds good. Not a ton of knobs to fumble with, but a ton of sweet spots.

Low Down Brown likes this.
  12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Was not a fan of the M87 at all. Never could get a good sound out of it.

Long story short...Keeley Bassist for the win. You just can't beat the simplicity. Then later if you want to get fancy, look into something like the Darkglass.

basscapes and lowplaces like this.
  13. Ethan Crank

Ethan Crank

Sep 6, 2018
    Have you looked at the new Darkglass hyper luminal compressor?

14. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    Keely for me because I just wanted a transparent and quiet peak limiting compression to tame my envelope filter spikes. I used a diamond for a bit, but realized I don’t want or need a tone enhancing compressor.

What do you want out of your compression? That would narrow your choices down very quickly.

Raman and eriky4003 like this.
  15. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK?
    FEA DE-CL.
    Rock on.

Low Down Brown, Larchi, Jim C and 3 others like this.
  16. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    if i was a beginner again ... i'd do what i did back in the 70's ... work on my technique first to fix mechanical issues ... and learn to setup my bass ... those things can help 'level' out your sound/volume levels ... IF that is what you want a comp pedal to do for you .!? if you want a comp pedal to use for a certain type of sound/effect , go for it ..!!

for the price , the Seymour Duncan Studio Bass Comp works very well ..!

17. Benko likes this.
  18. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    Any FEA LABS. Lehle. Origin. smoothie/ Empress.Diamond. Keeley. Mxr. Dbx overeasy/Dod milkbox. Ross. Dan Armstrong. Boss cs-2. Bbe optistomp.

That's the levels kiddo. Based and sound and features. I use an fea optifret.. All these are good to great.. But you gotta start some where. I got with the Fealabs De-Cl. smoothie. Keeley in that order.. If you don't like those you don't like compression

19. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    If you want a bunch of knobs to twiddle and metering to learn about compression: Empress

If you want something that runs almost automatically and is transparent: Keeley

If you want something subtle and warm: Diamond.

Compression comes down to personal taste....