Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Godhead'sLament, Jul 31, 2005.

1. hi
    so i've been planing on building a bass sometime soon. so i sat down to do a sketch of the basic design.. i think it got pretty close to what i want. i was just wondering what you guys think? feedback wanted..
    anyway its gonna be a
    6 string fretless "stabilized spalt maple board"
    bolt on wenge neck
    Ash body
    nordstrand dubblecoil or fatstacks
    aguilar pre

just wanted to share
    -cheers

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a killer design to me! I'd GAS over one... minus two strings, of course.

~Ryan

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Has that sleek, modern look that I like. Like my cars, I like the instrument to appear as if it's moving, even when standing still. Your design pulls that off quite well, but as the other guy said, it's got too many strings for my taste. :smug:

4. Zetora

Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    England
    Now that is one sleek looking design, and the perfect number of strings too.

Unfortunately I think the controls look good but unless its a bit of a big bass they wont look quite like that on production, needs to be a bit more spaced I think. Though it looks mighty good there.

Need to have fun and sit down and go through a pad of paper trying to design mine before long, got parts on order already yet not set design on paper, not the best way to go about it but at least i know what I've got lol

Zet.

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Great design! Ever since playing a sixer at GuitarWorks I've been GASing over one, so, if you ask me, the string number is perfect :D.

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Nice! I think that's the best looking design I've seen posted in a while. The only thing that I think needs attention is the lower horn. It's a little to nubby for me, doens't quite flow like the rest of the bass.

7. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Nice design indeed. my only complaint is the headstock, which looks a little cliche, IMO.

8. Wow, I think headstock and the lower horn are two of the coolest features of the bass.

The stubby horn flows well with the longer upper horn, and the cliche headstock... Well, when you can put something "cliche" on a bass, and make it work well, why change that? It's "cliche" for a reason, it works.

~Ryan

9. awesome design!

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I see a lot of these computer generated designs. What program did you use?

11. Yeah, what program, I hand drew mine, than I guess Hambone put it into paint, and went over it with tthe paint brush or something. But, boy I'd love to get a program so I could design it on the computer, no scannin involved!

~Ryan

12. I believe they're all using CAD programs like AutoCAD. I've tried my hand at them, and they're not very intuitive programs, and they require either training or a lot of time on the program, neither of which I have.

13. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I've used autocad, although I have taken courses to use it. It's really not that complicated once you know the basics, and I find it easy to modify my designs. It's also a lot cleaner than pencil and paper, and if you have access to a plotter, you can print out your designs full scale, which is very cool.

Back to the subject, nice design! But i do find the headstock to be cliché, my first basses had that as well, cuz, even though it's been done to death, it still looks cool (i find). Can't wait to see it done!

14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I like it (but too many strings for me) though I think I'd round off the points on the headstock a bit, especially the end ones. Otherwise, neat design.

15. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    wow, thats nice, looks sorta like a Coklin, but 2 too many strings for me,

-Jake

16. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I thought it was a CAD program, but just wondering which one in particular.

17. Probably AutoCAD, it seems to be pretty popular, although I've heard of a lot of people using TurboCAD.

18. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I've made one computer drawn design with Adobe Illustrator. Pirated, might I add. But, it is priced high because they expect businesses to make money with it, and I'm certainly not doing that, so... :)

19. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, GL, that's a mighty piece you've got there!
    Overall impression: WE'RE GOING SOMEWHERE, GET ON BOARD! Yeah, yelling!!

Body: exquisite shape! I think you will have to move the controls closer to the bridge/pups, unless you plan on a square edge. Rounded edges takes up some space...
    I also think that, considering the flow of everything else, you should consider a split bridge, one with the string holer separate form the bridge. Those string holders are occationally curved, which would be benefitial for your design.
    Finally, in the body region, I think you need to get some curve on the fingerboard end. Its squareness doesn't match... Perhaps you need to tilt the pups as well, to avoid the squares - or just leave them as an accent.

Headstock: I hate headstocks. Generally. YOurs is pretty nice, though it appears i little bit pointy. Another thought: the outmost curve, to the very right in the drawing, could be slightly adjusted to be a scaled down version of the body bottom. Could be an insteresting effect.

Those are my humble (believe it or not :oops: ) opinions. Go do what you like - it's your instrument! :cool:

20. Thanks for all all the great answers.. im glad you liked it.. about the controll knobs they will probably not be placed like that on the actual bass..
    and i admit the headstock deserves more attention
    I usually draw by hand but this time i decided to try something new and it worked out great saves so much time.. I used "paint shop pro" worked like a charm
    -Robin