Bass Ensembles

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Chrix, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Ok. Here's the deal. The university that I am currently attending is in a bit of a pickle. We've managed to, in the three years and four days that I've been attending, build a very good bass program (we went from about five bassists my Freshman year to about ten bassists now going into my senior year). I know that's not a huge number, but for a small, private college, it's a pretty large number. Now here's the dillema: not enough ensembles for every player. I've been put into the top two ensembles (thank you, thank YOU...) so what my teacher has discussed with me is the possibility of making up a bass ensemble or two. Now here's my question: does anyone here have any experience with ensembles, know where good music could be found (not only classical, but especially jazz and possibly even stuff for electric basses) or recordings or pretty much any type of information that could be useful. Thanks!
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I'm looking at the Lemur catalogue and I see about 6 pages of music, all the way from duets to "octets +".

That's a whole lotta love, folks.
  4. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004

That's some pretty interesting looking stuff, but would any of the [sheet] music be available from someplace like Lemur or the like?
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You might contact them and see if they'll help you out.

You might also consider taking matters into your own hands and either do some arranging or cut some kind of deal with whoever is teaching arranging at your fine institution get some some charts done for you right at home. Maybe you could get credits for doing the work yourself? More valuable would be the lessons learned in doing it, I'd think.
  6. Chrix

Apr 9, 2004

Well, ultimately I plan to, and I should have mentioned that. But since I've never done any kind of arranging for this type of ensemble, I was looking for maybe some sort of reference point.
  7. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Try and contact Richard Davis. For the Youth bass camp he has every year I know they have bass ensembles. When I was there about 11 years ago they had a bass arrangement for all blues and other tunes. I am sure he can help you out.

Also, he is a very nice and friendly person.

8. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    You could try to get in touch with Nicolas Marty, Contrebassiste and assitant teacher to Christian Gentet, head of l'Orchestre de Contrebasses...
  9. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    or you could try transcribing some stuff off the wonderful barre Phillips album "for all it is" with 4 basses on..
  10. you could try and track down "carnival contrasts" by tony osborne, which i believe was originally written for 12 basses. (there's also a string orchestra version we did in the orchestra i used to play in, and i reckon its pretty groovy). or if you can be bothered transposing some parts, or play 5 strings/extensions, there's "teddy bear's picnic" arranged for 8 cellos, which is frankly scary.
  11. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    The Indianapolis section has a good bass ensemble and they do a lot of their own arrangements. It would be worth getting in touch with them.

I think they have their own website, but can't seem to find it right now...