bass for garage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by linkon97, Nov 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. linkon97

linkon97

Oct 16, 2016
    Hi, I'm planing to play garage but I can't find the perfect one yet my thoughts are on a squier mustang bass and on a squier vintage modified pbass(pj pickups)

2. Care to elaborate? Do you mean that you are: (1) trying to start a garage band and can't find the right bass to use, (2) or is it a typo and did you mean grunge?

(1) - whatever bass suits you best

(2) - if you want to go legit find a cheap 1980's obscure CIJ bass, beat the $$$$ out of it, and make it sing

devonstone likes this.
  3. linkon97

linkon97

Oct 16, 2016
    did not mean grunge, I'm trying to start a garage band and cant find the right bass

4. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    It's a garage band. Find one you can afford

Apply volume

5. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    It's a garage band....all that matters is that you find a bass that sounds good to you. I've seen tons and tons of different makes and models used for that genre; there is no specific bass to look for.

6. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    I have a Squier VM jag that is cool. Squier is fine if you don't plan to resale it or dont have gear snob buddies. If yes, save up $200 more & buy a fender

neuman and Short-scale like this.
  7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

What attributes should a bass have to be appropriate for a garage band?

BlueAliceOasis and Gorn like this.
  8. linkon97

linkon97

Oct 16, 2016
    fast and loud (?)

basspraiser likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What qualities of a bass make it fast for you? As far as loudness, if the bass works and the amp works then any bass can be plenty loud.

Could you clarify what you mean by garage band? Do you mean you'll be playing in a garage? Because a baroque recorder/viola/cello enseble can play in a garage.

10. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio

"Garage" used to refer to a common location for a band to rehearse and play small gigs. Certain members of today's youth have shifted this concept to refer to a music genre fad. Specifically, this genre covers a lot of loud and noisy teen-style rock.

11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The best bass for garage is the same as the best bass for metal, but with rounded corners, a couple years of wear, worn a little higher, and tuned up to standard pitch.

Arion, GGinMP, gsquare and 7 others like this.
  12. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

I did not know that!

13. EVerderame

EVerderame

Feb 17, 2016
    you are covered. pj is more versatile, but precision neck can be unconfortable
    it really varies from instrument to other.
    i would consider a pj Jaguar too.
    in the end, it doesn't matter, find a good bass make that pig cry.

14. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    For garage rock, a hollow body with some overdrive.

15. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

A person can play in a fast manner, unfortunately a bass can only be fast when in a moving car or when thrown :(

As far as what bass to buy, I dont think the location you play in determines the type of bass you play. If it's for a "garage" genre then I'm pretty sure any solid body inexpensive bass will work fine. Why not try a P bass, maybe with a jazz neck? It can work for almost anything anyway, sounds like it would work great there.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Matthew Fisher likes this.
  17. KickingBass

KickingBass Look into it

Also, what basses have you tried?

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    A Squier of one stripe of another would qualify nicely. Well made and eminently playable VM or CV series, not a big investment if you drop a yard rake on it. Ibanez 200 series also stupid good for cheap. Just get a bass and flog on it. Piss off the neighbors. Tip: find a place that does carpets and get some big scrap pieces pulled out of somebody's living room. Hang them from the ceiling about 12" off the wall. Cheap and surprisingly effective sound deadening.

pudgychef and Malak the Mad like this.
  19. Tutmarc Audiovox 736

accept no substitutes.

Steve Boisen, Brio, ahc and 3 others like this.
  20. I'd go with one that feels best in your hands, gets the closest to the sound you hear in your head, and fits your budget. The first one is pretty much all on you to figure out. If you post some more information, I'm sure you can get help with the other two.

Miker27607 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021