1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass from Guitar Center or Zzounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrJmanzor, Mar 12, 2013.

1. MrJmanzor

MrJmanzor

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweetwater is out of the bass I want, dammit!

So now i have to choose between Guitar Center and Zzounds.
    Which one would you guys say to place your bets on?

Guitar center has a sale going on and that's always usefull.
    Although they don't have the best rep.

Zzounds i've bought things from before, the bass is full price with no sale deals but will be nicely packaged without being touched by human hands.....or at least to an extent.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but it kind of is and it kind of isn't at the same time.

So.....opinions?

2. jfantuzzo

jfantuzzo

Feb 28, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Go to GC and negotiate a deal. I always prefer dealing in person rather than over the phone or internet.

3. happyg

happyg

Sep 17, 2011
    Zzsound will price match.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    GC rarely if ever negotiates anymore. They claim they are restricted by the manufacturer which is also why their coupons have so many exclusions. ZZ Sounds will match prices if you can provide proof and they verify it. I have made online purchases from both companies and have not had any problems. Prices are generally about the same.

5. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Zzounds will price match and does payments, even if GC has a sale most of the time the items are listed under their exclusion anyhow.....

zzounds.

6. EnviroMetal

EnviroMetal

Feb 16, 2013
    zzounds has the play and pay method which is awesome and i've experienced nothing but the fastest shipping from them and really good customer service
    one time i called them and a live person answered the phone. done deal right there

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have never had a problem negotiating with Guitar Center even with the exclusions YMMV

8. MrJmanzor

MrJmanzor

Feb 21, 2013
    Just called guitar center, the dude who answered the phone sounded like he really hated his job lol. Also he was really out of it.

Him: Would you like to add strings to your bass guitar order?
    Me: What kind?
    Him: Ernie ball slinky
    Me: 4 strings?
    Him: 6 strings
    Me: Doooo you have bass strings?
    Him: What? Oh yeah let me check.

I will probably just buy from Zzounds...regular price but way more reliable.
    I wouldn't think they could price match on a sale, how would they even be allowed to do that?

9. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

Nov 26, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Is there a reason you can't go to GC yourself?

10. MrJmanzor

MrJmanzor

Feb 21, 2013
    Wayyyyy too many miles away....too far for me.

11. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    I like the people at Zzounds a lot more, and they always make it right one way or another, but man, I've had some horrible luck ordering gear from there. Twice I had ordered new gear and been sent refurbished stuff with obvious flaws (and I've read about that happening to other people on here as well).

Once again, great guys that always make it right, but I'm not sure they know what they're doing any better than GC. That's just my experience though

12. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    One of the benefits of shopping at places that price match.

That being said, I've ordered from Zzounds several times, always prompt service, and everything I've gotten from them has been warehouse fresh (unopened in any form). Haven't ordered anything new like that from GC, always shopped in person - until today, but the bass I bought today was used and at a GC in Tenn (And they wouldn't let me use the sale coupon, but it's cool... Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.) I will say I got superior service from Guy at the Knoxville GC this morninng. Props to him.

The only bad part of ordering online.. The wait for shipping. There's also AMS (which I think is a sister/parent company of Zzounds), Musician's Friend & Music123 (sister companies of GC) and Sam Ash you can order from as well.

GL... What Bass are you going for?

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

UghÂ…sounds like you've got a sub-par GC near you. It's a shame, the one by me is full of great guys who either really know their stuff or will straight-up tell you if they don't know it. No shenanigans.

Have you looked at Musician's Friend? I've bought gear from them in the past, percussion and stringed. I just ordered a drop-d tuner from them last night and it's already on it's way.

14. My case with zZounds may be different because I ordered a B-stock Ken Smith KSD Burner 6. When it arrived, the bass was simply packed in a box stuffed with crumpled up paper. There were holes punctured straight through the box. (For the sake of arguement, perhaps the box may have been re-used.) Being a B-stock, I knew there would be some dings/chips, but having seen the box & lack of packaging, I had to wonder if I received it with more chips than when it left their warehouse.

In any case, the B-stock Ken Smith KSD Burner 6 is a keeper. It sounds and plays great, despite the existing chips/dings.

15. MrJmanzor

MrJmanzor

Feb 21, 2013
    Alright, i am going to say this once and for all.

Zzounds...****ing...rules.

I called them and asked him about the price match on the item, first thing he says. "Oh yeah that sale on guitar center, i'll just go ahead and give you a low price to save time." He didn't feel like going on guitar center to check the price match so he gave me the bass i wanted for $275 (From $300) WITH 2 day shipping.

HHHOOOOLLLLYYYY SSSHHHIIIEEETTTT

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Musician's Friend is owned by Guitar Center.

17. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Unless your buying in person at local GC Id order from Zzounds. Or buy thru musiciansfriend if they have better selection or price.

18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'd wondered about that, especially since a lot of their prices match up. I just never bothered to investigate it. :meh:

Well, I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad thing. They may be sister-companies, but sometimes I can get a better deal on one or the other. For example, their mailer catalog sometimes has a coupon that beats out in-store GC sales. And then there are their website sales which don't always match up. So they may be related, but it's still possible to get a better deal on one than the other.

Well, now I know…and knowing is half the battle.

19. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Go with whoever has the best deal and free shipping, but also take note of who has the best hassle free return policy in case you get a dud and have to send it back. I have NEVER had a problem getting the current discount promotion from GC even if the item is on their exclusion list. They have always made the exception. Also, if one company is offering a promotion, you can go to the competitor with that promotion and see if they will match it and better it, in the way of free shipping, no sales tax, or an even lower price, etc.

20. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I have purchased two new Fender basses from GC, I used the then current coupon deal on both purchases, and Fender was clearly listed in the exclusions on both coupons. I don't think that Fender can or does limit what GC can do for you in the way of pricing, I think they only limit what GC (or any other retailer) can advertise in the way of pricing. I seriously doubt that Fender gets any information about what you paid for your bass. Last summer when a local GC guitar salesman knew that I was interested in a Reggie Hamilton he called me at work to let me know that GC had a coupon deal going and Fender had just announced a sale on top of that. Now I cannot promise you anything but if you want a Fender and GC has a coupon going then print the silly thing out and take it to your local GC stores to see what they will do for you. Do not be put off by the "exclusions".

If I had to buy via the internet then I would go with whoever has the best deal. I'd even try the GC coupon. I think I have done that in the past just noodling around and it appeared to go through although since I never completed the order I don't know for sure that it will be honored for online purchases. I kinda prefer to buy through local stores though so I would tend to use Sam Ash and GC which are local rather than Zzounds which is not. I also use local mom and pops who will frequently match or come close to internet prices.

Ken