Bass Gear not used for Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, May 4, 2004.

1. Just wondering if anyone else uses there bass gear for other applications other than bass? For example, I use my SWR WM12 with a 4ch mixer for the vocals when we do a small gig and don't want to haul the P.A.
  2. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Been using a Behringer Bass V-amp Pro as an effects unit on the PA....
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I built a 2x10 a while ago for my bass rig. But I found myself in need of a vocal PA, so each 10 is now in it's own small box with a horn.

I also used my JBL 15" as a home Hi-Fi sub for a long time.
  4. Just last month I was in a small "easy listening" dinner gig. We used my Crown power amp to drive the PA because we didn´t want to bring our main amp rack (>50 kg) to such a small occasion. I went straight into the board; the volumes were so low that we could put the PA cabs behind us and no monitoring was needed. It worked really well.

I also have an ancient Boss multiFX unit for bass that I used on my g**tar gigs before I got myself a Behringer V-Amp. It has a surprisingly good distortion and an ultra-fun analog delay/chorus/flanger-section that can be used to make some incredibly strange noises.
  5. Oh yeah...

I grew up on a farm, we knew how to 'rig stuff' :D

GK 200MB combo - made a makeshift live keyboard amp

Eden WT600 head - used the dual channel power section as a stereo power amp to listen to recorded music

SWR GIII cab - used as a subwoofer for the basement party room (((BBOOoooommmmm)))

6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    My 1967 Ampeg B-15-N makes a great guitar amp. I love the sound of a guitar through a tube driven 15" speaker! :hyper:
  7. I used a POS Crate B-160 (or something) 15" Combo for my home theater sub. I took a line out from my TV (no receiver), went through a Radio Shack 1/4" adaptor to the input on the amp.

It was awesome listening to movies with the built-in chorus!
  8. I had a gig last night where the monitor amp blew, so I used one side of my SWR SM900 power amp to run the monitors. I had to use one patch cord to run from the effects send of the pre amp to the left amo, and took a line from the monitor mixer into the right side. Left 350 watts for my 8ohm 2X10 and 1X15, and Right 350 watts for the 2 8ohm 1X12 monitors. I thought of it on the fly when we had to stop playing twice when we overloaded the monitor amp (an accient Yorkvile that had NOT been taken care of,... beer all down the side from years ago). Just goes to show you don't trust anyone elses equipment.
  9. ccbass71

ccbass71 Supporting Member

Once on a gig we needed a vocal monitor, so I used on side of my power amp and my Eden 210xlt. It sound pretty good and clean.
  10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I use my Eden Metro to play CD's, and practice on my guitar.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I use one of my Aguilar GS 112 cabinets as part of my home PA.
  12. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I use my eden 210 as vocal monitor at practice these days. The 410 is enough to compete with the drummer.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have done this many times. My old BBE 383 bass preamp was used to good effect as an EQ for the kick drum on my band's first CD (and in several live situations). My Peavey Bass-Fex pre/pro was used for vocal effects on this same CD (it did have some nice reverbs). I think that my Eden Navigator has been used as a preamp for a line in (CD player) on a couple of occassions. I have used a pair of my EA VL-208's for vocal monitors in a practice room (they work tremendously well in this regard). For a last second PA (when our sound man cancelled on us days before a show), I hauled all my EA cabs to the gig and put a stack on each side of the stage. Here is a shot of the stage right stack:
    My rig that night was the EA CX-310 you see in the picture (with an Epifani T-112 turned towards the drummer), powered by my iAMP 800. My rack rig (on the floor) was powering the mains. It's very nice having a PLX 3002 in your rack! My old rack rig (next rack up) was powering the monitors. That amp is an Audio Centron RMA-1600. Interestingly, although we ended up using a friend's wedge monitors for on-stage vocal monitors (he showed up with them at the last minute), before he got there, I had been using my three Epi cabs (two T-112's and a T-110UL) to set up the monitor mix, and they killed the wedges. I really should have stuck with them, as the wedges (I think they were Yamaha's) gave me feedback troubles all night, whereas the Epi cabs got darn loud with no feedback.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As I look at that picture, two more thoughts come to mind. First, I appear to have been using my T-110UL in my bass rig as well (love that 2 ohm stable iAMP 800!). Second, please note the most important piece of gear in my rig that night - the mini-fridge! Yes, it was up and running and fully stocked (initially). :p

15. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've often patched into the power amp stage of a spare bass head to drive PA mains or monitors.

I once used my SWR Baby Blue as the PA power amp and speakers when we arrived at the club to discover all the house PA cabs were blown.

In college I used a cassette deck patched into an old Bassman head driving a Guild 2-12 bottom as my dorm room sound system.
  16. Mini-fridge! What a fantastic idea.

17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    All of you guys who used a bass amp as monitors have put ideas in my head. I haven't finished the small vocal PA I'm building and haven't bought a power amp yet. But based on what I read here, I tried using my spare bass amp as a PA power amp, just to see what it would sound like. Gawwdddammittt it sounds pretty darn good. Good enough to get me started.

Actually now that I think of it, I've loaned out my bass rig to friends who were having parties to use as a quasi DJ setup. And it's always sounded pretty good with a C D playing through it (the exception being the Eden 2x10 - that speaker didn't work out). I just never thought to try it with mics.
  18. I just bought a bbe 383 and wanted to know if anyone has run pa through it?...thanks
  19. DogBone

Mar 15, 2009
    Central Virginia
    My little Ampeg BA112 bass combo makes a sweet guitar amp.
  20. I use my pedalboard when I'm doing synth stuff in my living room. The delay and chorus pedals are particularly useful. When jamming/writing I use my old Peavey Basic 40 bass amp; when recording I go straight into my Korg Sound-on-Sound recorder, and come up with stuff like this:
    middy likes this.