1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass guitar for punk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Perun, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Perun

Perun

Oct 25, 2007
    Zagreb, Croatia
    to 400$, i´m newb in bass world,play about a 3 months in punk band, have squire P-bass, but i have in mind ibanez GSR200 or yamaha RBX 170...what are your´s opinions? thanks in advance!

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    the squire is a better bass then both of those imo... drop in some sort of upgrades into the squier along the lines of say a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder and maybe change the bridge to a bad ass.. the Squier would have way better tone the the gsr or the rbx.. try www.musicstore.de or thomann

3. Perun

Perun

Oct 25, 2007
    Zagreb, Croatia
    thanks mate! :hyper: and is there bass guitar that you would recommend for punk? :bassist:

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    erm thats where my 2cents gets reduced.. i dunno it depends punk bands throu the years in way way or another have used Fender P's or P style.. and the squire is a good basis to upgrade.. ive played a few Gsr200's there like the lowest ibanez i think (correct if wrong) there a grand first bass i guess... but i dunno i dont think you can go wrong with what you have.. upgrade it id say.. the yam or the ibanez is a downgrade in my eyes

5. Put a new pickup in your bass.

I think the amplifier used is more important for punk rock, but then, it doesnt really matter what you use, anything should be useable, there is no best :)

I have played in a punk band for years, have used P/J basses, Ibanez ATK's, Ibanez BTB's and I currently use a HH Musicman Stingray. The Stingray is my favourite bass for punk, and gives me the sound that I want. The one thing that has stayed constant has been my SVT-II and Marshall VBC810 speaker cabinet :).

I'd maybe look into the Tech21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI, or the Behringer BDI21 on your bidget. That plus a new pickup in your Squier and you will be set for a long while :)

6. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Well, a precision bass I always thought was good for punk. But I'm no authority on that.

If you are still thinking about the Yamaha and Ibanez, go with the GSR.

I have the RBX170, this is my only fretted bass wich I use to practice tapping.

A GSR200 I tried out in my local music store, and it produce a more punchier sound, more mature and fuller.

I'd go with the Ibanez, or modify your Squier.

And I am a Yamaha zealot and actually don't like Ibanez. :)

7. Try to get your hands on a EBMM Stingray Sub!

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    if you can afford it Made in mexico p bass which used can go for around 200 to 400... if not just change the bridge on the squire to a badass and the pickups to dimarzios... i prefer the tone to that over basslines... more clear and more punch...

9. roro92

roro92

Sep 14, 2008
    Ibanez ATK.

10. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

ATK is within your pricerange (used) and has the bollocks for some serious punk

11. Mod your Squier and play the hell out of it. Put your money into your amp. Your probably going to be playing lots of places with out good sound systems like house parties and such so make sure you have an amp that can be heard on its own.

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    +1
    It was said before but this phrasing sounds dead on to me

13. used fender p-bass all the way. thats if you dont know what you want.

14. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama

+2.

Also, "punk" is actually a wildly varied genre. Some people think it's all "noise made by people who barely know 3 chords" and that's a bunch of nonsense. Sure, some of it is like that, and some of that kind of punk is great, but it was a far more expansive and expressive form of rock&roll than most people give it credit for.

In short, play what you want, but IMO, you'll get more mileage from an inexpensive bass and a nicer amp rig than the other way around.

15. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    +3

+1

16. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    what punk bands do you like?

that could narrow it down.

rancid / op iv / blink 182 / sex pistols use P Basses
    Dead kennedys use Jazz basses
    mike watt - gibsons
    kira from black flag - rickenbacker
    fugazi - stingray mostly

17. I started playing punk on a P-Bass clone like every one else. If you are looking the change your tone. The simplist mod would be a series/parallel switch. My bandmates liked the sound I had in parallel with flatwounds. I keep the tone knob about 3/4 the way to full "mud"

I still play my old punk bass lines for fun. I prefer a neck pick up to get the "growl". But you can "pull" the classic punk "sound" out of any bass. It's really just tweaking the settings on the bass, amp, and cabs. I can get a nasty punk sound out of my MM, yet it defies my basic idea of a punk bass.

Honestly I cannot say there is a "perfect" bass for punk. It's really a matter of way bass gives you the best playablity. The core or essentials of punk. Came from the "hardcore" era, and thoses guys slept at each others houses while on tour. And often used each others gear if something went wrong, as money was tight and back-up equipment was a dream.

18. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    precision bass

19. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    "Punk is whatever we made it to be" - D. Boon

'Nuff said. :smug:

Use what you like, and enjoy it. Don't worry about anything else (what bass 'so-and-so' is using, trends, etc.).

20. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    +1!