Bass identity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Prokop, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. David Prokop

David Prokop

Sep 7, 2018

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Yep! That's the one. Forgot how weird looking those were. Only saw one person ever playing one.

3. David Prokop

David Prokop

Sep 7, 2018
    Okay, this picture was probably Nov. 1972 at Moon High School (Moon Township, PA). I see shortly after that time they came out with a record label called Moon Records. The band used the name Speed-O-Meter. We all had garage bands back then and this has been bugging me for a long time.

4. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I'm not seeing any resemblance to Rutsey or Alex in that photo.

5. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    It's interesting how he's looped his strap over the lower 'bout'. I do the same playing my T-birds as it pulls the bass into your body stabilizing it and preventing neck-dive.

fullsizeoutput_10e7.jpeg

4-fingers and design like this.
  6. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Rutsey had longer hair in that time period and it wasn't curly like that. Of course I could be wrong.
    img5E.gif

Above: Rush publicity photo

Bassbeater likes this.
  7. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    The Tin Man and Henry Gloval are looking dope as hell, but that pantsuit means business on bass.

8. PJMustangFreak

PJMustangFreak Commercial User

Dec 12, 2017
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Endorsed by WristGrips
    Fellow western PA resident here (Natrona Heights born and raised)... Wow, could it be possible that Rush played at Moon High School?

9. ifrisbee

ifrisbee

Jan 2, 2017
    Maryland

Not if it was 72 or 73, they didn't play in the US until 74 from everything I've read.

David Prokop likes this.
  10. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Also, they were more or less established by then, at least in Canada. Why would they go by "Speed-O-Meter?"

I also still don't think that looks like Alex L. on guitar.

I looked around to see if Geddy ever had or played a Jetstar and found zilch. Not that this means anything.

11. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Why is John Rutsey sitting on a toilet in this photo?

12. David Prokop

David Prokop

Sep 7, 2018
    I don't know but it has been bugging me for years...It was a three piece band with the bass player single very high notes & playing songs no one could dance to. Not sure why, it was Rush, why they would use the name Speed-O-meter.

13. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Only thing I can think of is maybe if they were getting known in Canada as Rush they didn't want to play a PA high school under that name? It's possible.

David Prokop likes this.
  14. David Prokop

David Prokop

Sep 7, 2018
    I don't know...thanks...but even the shoes look similar to this picture.... upload_2018-9-8_20-15-8.png

JIO likes this.
  15. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Yeah, like Geddy was the only longhaired bassist in 1972-73 wearing platform shoes. That is not John Rutsey on the drums in your photo. I'm almost positive it's not Alex.

Where does the photo come from? Is it a yearbook? Any old classmates share your memories better?

16. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    The mystery deepens. Hmm.

17. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    Not really, after looking at the photo more I'd say that isn't Geddy either. Unless he was moonlighting with another band playing secret High School gigs under a silly name.

18. David Prokop

David Prokop

Sep 7, 2018
    Yep, this picture was right out of our 1973 yearbook. But I was there...a couple of classmates didn't remember but I remember a lead single of one of the class bands mocking the singing style during the "dance." I read somewhere where a drummer by the name of Gerry Fielding??? filled in before Peart.

19. I don’t think it’s Geddy or the band. They did play my high school though when my older brother was attending it. They were supposed to play there again when I was about 15 but I knew it wasn’t going to happen. They had simply gotten too big to play at schools by then.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Don't do that :)

saabfender likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021