Bass identity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by David Prokop, Sep 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I have to admit I was on the fence with that one.

JimmyM likes this.
  2. The drummer does have a resemblance to a young Neil, but if my memory is correct, Neil replaced their original drummer that played on their debut record. Can't see the guitarist's face clearly enough to speculate if it was Alex. Were Geddy, Alex, and Neil known to each other at that time? If this picture is from that time period, it could be Geddy or a doppelganger, like Neil in the picture. Again, if my memory is correct, Geddy was a Canadian citizen at that time, and I believe is still a Canadian citizen. Was the picture taken in Canada? Just curious because if the bassist is in fact Geddy, it would be kind of cool to know if his band at that time was visiting the US or playing in the early days in Canada. Another intriguing statement you made is that the band did not play covers. I am not familiar with their gear rigs or amps in their early days. Very cool picture.

3. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Gerry Fielding did in deed play in Rush for about a year between Rutsey and before Peart, not a fill in. I was in a band with Gerry for three years.......I don't think it's him in the pic.....but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. The mystery continues!

Gerry is a fabulous drummer and very humble about his time in Rush...I didn't learn about it from him in fact.

4. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Nice sleuthing! :thumbsup:

5. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    AZ
    I think the singer from the photo looks more like Charlie Benante of Anthrax in the Among the Living time period.

I would be surprised if it was Rush. I just honestly don't think it is

Rutsey's last performance with Rush was July 25th, 1974.

Neil Peart officially joined July 29, 1974.

If Gerry Fielding filled in for a year it must have been the shortest year on record.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  6. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    I'm calling, NOT Rush.
    That could be any long haired bass player, as you can't see his face.
    No record of Geddy ever owning or playing this bass. However, possible.(interesting bass, btw)
    No record of any version of the band using the name "speed-o-meter".
    Not John Rutsey.(too early to be Peart. Plus, not Peart)
    Not Alex Liefson.
    Not Rush.
    Rush 1968:
    View attachment 3143747

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    JIO likes this.
  7. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    interesting... TBC

David Prokop likes this.
  8. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Really good shampoo. That should tell you something.

TNCreature, bholder and Jeff Elkins like this.
  9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Awesome... :)

saabfender likes this.
  10. David Prokop

David Prokop

Sep 7, 2018
    Okay, I got a hold of Ian Grandy, who was the roadie for Rush in the time period of the picture. He said that Rush didn't come to the US until '74. This is after the date of the picture. But, he did agree there was a resemblance. Thanks, everyone for helping solve this mystery. Also, thanks for identifying the "Gumby" Guild Jetstar bass. I've never seen one before...very interesting style/shape and without a pick guard.

saabfender and 4-fingers like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021