1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass issues.... time for a change?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrMoo, Oct 20, 2013.

1. MrMoo

MrMoo

Sep 27, 2013
    Hey up
    I own a '95 Squier MIK, I like its tone but in terms of playability it sucks. The action is quite an issue as there's literally half a mile between strings and fretboard. What do do?
    I have tried a few basses for my price bracket the Yamaha RBX 374 and an Ibanez SR300 which I enjoyed playing because they were miles easier and faster and the tone was pretty nice too. Now, I know I can't carry on like this anymore. So I'm considering the following options
    1) Buying either of those two basses
    2) Getting someone to do some serious luthier magic and turn my Squier into something lot easier. I don;t think a simple set up would help at this point, how much can the lower those strings?
    3) give up and play flute.
    discuss

2. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    If the truss rod works and the action is still too high and provided the bridge saddles are at the bottom of their adjustment, then it's time for a shim. If the strings buzz and rattle but 'theoretically' the bass is set up (to factory specification) then it's time for a fret levelling.

It's very rare that a neck is so out of shape that after you've taken these steps, the action is still poor. If the neck has had its day, then you can buy a replacement neck..

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    first step to fighting GAS: get your instrument set up.
    Always helps to sort things out, figure out what you do and don't actually like about what you've got.

4. MrMoo

MrMoo

Sep 27, 2013
    The bass has been in a basement for 10 years....

5. Take it to a pro...

6. GrumpiusMaximus

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Well then, get busy with the truss rod adjustments!

I have a humid cellar and my Fender Strat (one-piece maple neck, with maple fingerboard) tends to have some issues. Really, it is probably just a truss rod adjustment that you need to do. It will take about half an hour and save you a lot of money.

7. Hey, no disrespect as I know you are trying to help, but I am unsure how taking the bass to a prostitute is going to help?? :p

8. Get a good setup. A "simple setup" done by a good tech can easily address the playability issues unless something is broken, in which case that will be good to know so you can make a choice about fixing it or getting a new bass. But a good setup form a good tech would be the first step either way.

9. The SR300 is a really nice bass for the price having an active 3band EQ, the slim neck, great looks, and excellent quality. The sound alone is superior IMO with a much wider range.

10. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    The strings are figuratively a half mile off the fretboard. For the strings to literally be a half mile off the fretboard you would need a giant bass with extremely long strings.

11. GrumpiusMaximus

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Nice catch. Personal dislike of the misappropriation of the word 'literally' here. Figuratively makes my blood boil.

12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    As long as you like the tone of the MIK, a simple setup will fix your action issues as long as nothing is literally broken ;)

13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Bring it to a tech and have them do a full setup. If you bring it to someone who knows what they are doing you'll be shocked at how it comes out.

14. Agree with all the posters who say to get a pro to set it up. Always go with the least expensive and easiest option first. Don't assume (like so many here seem to do) that mods are the answer to everything

15. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    MrMoo, you have the exact same question going in two different threads ... as I shared in the other one ...

Analyze the bass .. take a look at where/why the action seems to be so high .. is it at the bridge, are the saddles set so high that the strings are way off the pick-ups as well ??? .. if so, crank them down a little bit at a time ... is the neck in a bow, and if so, where is the most bow taking place?? ... is it mid neck and actually raises back up at the heel where it meets the body (not good), or is it the entire neck with nut at a high point and the heel at what could be considered a low point (better chance to correct) ... if it is extensive, it may not come back with simple truss rod adjustment without putting the neck in a 'backbow' set-up, clamped and blocked .. probably not a do it yourself deal, but not rocket science if you have done it ... try truss rod adjustment first ... if it is a combination, you may need adjust truss rod and saddles ... take an analytical look at what you have, and then re-post ... a detailed explanation (pics even better) will help ... without more info, useless to even speculate, you may have a severe twist going on ...

Some of those mid 90 Squiers had nice necks ... but quite often laminate bodies (plywood), and really aren't worth a whole lot in the market place .. I paid around $100 for both that I have had, so it may not pay for a shop to 'fix it', if you cant .. you then have parts for sale, not a bass ... do your own investigating first, or make sure the shop will only charge you minimally (or even give free estimate) for their opinion on any repairs ... JMHO

16. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Okay even though this has been addressed by russpurdy and GrumpiusMaximus I have to go here....

So many questions:

1) What??
    2) Where did you get strings that long?
    3) How do your arms stretch that far?
    4) Have you contacted Guinness about owning the largest bass, or even musical instrument, ever?
    5) What??

17. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I say switch to flute, so much less to carry.

18. GrumpiusMaximus

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    May I humbly suggest piccolo?

19. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
  20. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Cheapest option: do this. Not at all difficult, and I'm usually a DIY-phobe.

Next best option: get a professional to set it up.

I-want-a-new-bass-anyway option: get a new bass.