Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass POD or others for DI?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by xolin, Mar 7, 2004.

1. I was thinking of getting a bass pod xt or something similar for recording on my pc. I would just use my amp head, but would the modeling and all that stuff be worth it? I dont need all the effects, but what would be the best bet?

Thanks,
    Colin

2. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    My $.02

I haven't to date been able to get what I consider good tone going through my bass POD (note, not an XT).

My disclaimer is that there is a lot of tweakability with the POD and I by no means have exhausted all its possibilities. My time recording is usually relegated to very, very narrow windows of opportunity. I am also forever learning, so maybe it's "user error."

However, I'm now aiming to refine my tone using a) a bass I think can give me the tone I want, b) informed EQ, c) compression, and d) maybe a pre-amp known for getting what I want (Sansamp).

I haven't given up on the POD, but I know at least it requires more intervention from me than I've given it.

Finally, I sense that others think the POD XT is indeed quite well suited for recording, saying that they'll see then in pro studios.

HooBass

3. CAM

CAM

Mar 10, 2003
    mongo's house
    I used the pod xt in a studio about a week ago and thought it was fantastic! It took me all of two minutes to figure how to set it up (albeit, very basically and just using the presets) but still, it did the job! It wasn't mine so i didnt really get a chance to use it fully at home, but im saving right now and hope to have it in a few weeks! Well worth it!

As for using it for home recording...be careful, because i seem to remember it cant be used as a pre-amp!

Thank god bass players can finally match guitarists for digital modelling and effects!

Peace and Love and Un-i-ty

CAM

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Johnson J Station. Discontinued but it smokes the POD for bass. Used about $100 on Evil Bay. I haven't messed with the PRO or with the XT so they might be better. I have heard a number of live rigs where the bassist was using the PRO that sounded very good to me though.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Try a Sans Amp RBI or BDDI, great sound, no digital noise. I've tried the POD and I really hated it. Just my opinion of course.

6. dumeril7

dumeril7

Oct 21, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Here's another idea: A lot of studio bassists just use tube mic preamps and there's no reason you can't do the same. You can get a decent project/home studio tube mic preamp for pretty cheap and then use your mixer/outboard FX/recording software for EQ and effects, which is probably more flexible than an amp simulator anyway. You get real tube warmth and natural compression, and something to improve vocal tracks as a bonus.

D7

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I love my SansAmp Bass Driver. It doesn't have all the modeling and effects of the POD, but I didn't want them. Before I bought that I was using my lowly ART Tube MP mic preamp. It's low-end as a mic preamp but I really like it as a bass DI, *especially* for the price.

For what it's worth, my chain is actually bass -> SABDDI -> ART -> Delta 66. I did that just to get the phantom power for the SABDDI from the ART. What I found is that I now have three options for recording direct - and I like the combination of the two even better than the ART or SABDDI alone.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    PreSonus digiTube works well like this, you have to change out the tube it comes with though, IMO.

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the regular Bass Pod Pro that I use for our headphone jams and for direct recording and I've had GREAT luck with it. I usually dial in the Eden, GK or SWR models and I get some sweet tones.

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I have a bass pod that I've used for years with good results. However, I recently purchased an Avalon U5 DI and it smokes the POD. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the POD has, but if you are looking for just a good transparent bass sound this thing is boobies!