Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass recording.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MarkyMark, Mar 19, 2006.

1. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    I have a B100R and my question is this:
    Am I better off using the output on the amp and running it to the mixer or should I mic the amp or should I run the bass straight to the mixer??? I want to keep the warm tone of the Ampeg.

Thank you!

2. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Just a quick suggestion. Get a good DI box (I use a Countryman Type 85), and a good mic (see below) Run three inputs into your recorder:

1. DI box (just the plain sound of your instrument)
    2. Preamp DI (sound of your pre)
    3. Mic the cab (use a good mic, like a Shure Beta 52A, or the like, made for bass usage)

Mix and match the tracks as you please.

3. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    well, I have a pedal that I use to help the bass out (bass sounds like complete crap) and it can be a DI.

It's a Hartke bass pedal; I would have to look at it to tell you what model.

4. Take a track from both the DI and from a mic on the amp. Then blend the 2. You will get an amazing sound. I've done it a few times with at the colleges studio with their GK 115 and a Soundcraft DI, and it sounded GREAT.

Rock on
    Eric

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    read up on signal to noise ratio as well... People tend to crank the gain first so it is at like 1 to 2 o'clock or more and then adjust the master from there for more of a "signal to noise ratio" esp. with tube amps.

I am recording this week and was planning on using a mic and DI only. I am going to try the 3 technique and record like the second poster mentioned.

6. +1 - Did this when we recorded an ep years ago and I loved the versatitlity it provided in the mix-down! You could say, "Gimme more of that cabinet sound" or "I love how tight that DI sound is! Let's run with that!". so depending on the song, there was a variety of sounds that could be tried without a bunch of post-production production going on.

7. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

+1 again.

In the limited recording I've done at home I've found I'm happier with the results if I get close to the tone I want on the raw tracks rather than "fix in the mix" later. Recording multiple tracks simlultaneously as several suggested is a great way to do that since you have so many options to work with.

There may be times when you specifically want a processed sound, but if you're looking for natural sounding bass this is a good way to get it.