1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass/Sound on Air-How does it make you feel

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Vanackerethijs, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Vanackerethijs

Vanackerethijs

Jan 13, 2012
    Hej!

I'm a music student in Belgium, in fact I study music production at the conservatory of Ghent. One of our assignments for this year is to recreate a song, of course as accurate as possible. As a student producer and bass plaer, I was wondering what bass guitar you'd used on this recording, and eveything that's gear related. (I"m guessing a holow body) but i'm hearing more than that, is there more to it? or is it just the bassguitar and was the sound later changed in mixing?

Greetz!

Thijs

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Mar 25, 2005
    You know what, that was a '70's Pbass with old strings...not a hollow body at all. I think I just played into a DI and a B15, nothing special. The sound wasn't changed after recording at all.

Best,
    JMJ

3. Vanackerethijs

Vanackerethijs

Jan 13, 2012
    thx man!

greetz!

Thijs

4. Vanackerethijs

Vanackerethijs

Jan 13, 2012
    I've read online that you contributed to sounds and production, do you know what synth was used for the "pad" sound after the first chorus, at 1:53? (i'm guessing a rhodes with effects added, but i can't pinpoint the exact sound). Thanks for the previous reply anyway!