1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass strings 55-110 for medium scale bass. Do they exist?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Spoono Ghiefardi, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    I've done the TB searches, I've searched the inter-webs and all the bass string specific web sites. Can't seem to find them. I've got a Fender Reverse Jaguar bass and its a medium scale bass, but I love the tone of heavy gauge strings. The way the bass is designed the E string actually goes pretty far. It's actually where the G string would be. So In my head it seems like it would work and the tension and everything would be fine for 55-110 strings. But I've heard its bad to use long scale strings on a medium/short scale bass due to intonation and what not. I know I should just suck it up and deal with the nature of the guitar, put regular gauge strings on, and be done with it, but if some one has any info on finding the strings or if I can just use long scale strings on it, that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers TB. fender_reverse_jag_black__76962-1400x1000.

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Intonation is not an issue. The only thing that comes up is that when you use long strings on a medium scale instrument, the full diameter of the string may wrap around the tuning post. This is only a concern with the E and the B string.

Given that your bass has a reverse headstock, I see no issue why you can't use a standard set of strings on the bass. The E and A strings should have plenty of extra length that the full diameter won't hit the tuning post, and the D and G strings are a small enough gauge that it won't be an issue.

I would do it.

Spoono Ghiefardi and michael_t like this.
  3. I've always wondered about the reverse headstock and its advantages and potential benefits. This makes so much practical sense!

Spoono Ghiefardi likes this.
  4. Spoono Ghiefardi

Spoono Ghiefardi

Nov 20, 2015
    Dope. That's what I figured, but best to make sure. Thanks much.

Jon Moody likes this.