1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses only have 4 strings

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Aug 17, 2007.

1. FissioN

FissioN

Jan 17, 2009
    Hehe. I'm a 14-year-old, and I play on a six string bass. Those poor, poor fellows are uneducated in bass.

2. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    St. Louis
    I think that traditionalism w/regard to instruments is blasphemous toward the Indie approach. Here's why:

Given that the label (hate labels) "indie" derives from the word "independent," it seems, sadly, that the "Indie" music scene in your area is not that independent at all, unless you're misrepresenting it in your prose. From what you wrote, I see that people up your way are independent to experiment with alternative tunings and what have you, but only with "traditional" instruments.

That's absurd: If you're not free to choose how many strings you play in an Indie band in Halifax, NS, without getting 'tude from your so-called peers, then you're really not independent at all, and the judgmental ones are not independent music thinkers. So it ain't "Indie," "Seattle" comparison notwithstanding.

I love the gobs of snow y'all get in Halifax, honestly I do, but thank God (thank you too) I'm not there anyhow.

Actually, I'm on an aggressive North-American job-hunt right now and... Oh, no, I've got a job-offer in the Halifax-area that's quite attractive, but it's in a smaller town than aforesaid city, so maybe my tour of the area during my recon-visit will reveal that things are actually different than the bleak scene you depict, even in Halifax-Seattle its very self! I've always played in "Indie" bands. Wherever I played, we were viewed as such and, often, heard as such because of the originality of our musical output. Nobody, like I previously wrote, whether in the US, NL, or UK ever even blinked if :eek: someone showed up with an instrument that didn't fit the norm. Why? Because the whole idea of independent music is to play whatever you want, free of any creativy-shackling "norms."

Norms aren't normal in Indie, by definition.

3. PsyDocHill

PsyDocHill

Feb 13, 2003
    St. Louis
    Oh dear, I just quoted from a classic rock tune.... I must be non-Indie. Obviously that ain't true: But isn't it beautiful how we can learn from all sorts of musical styles, even those that we don't call our own? Then we incorporate aforesaid influences, or choose--emphasis on choice--to avoid them.

That's "Indie" playing; that's the hallmark of any independent, creative musician or band, whatever the stylistic label that happens to be affixed to him/her/it/:confused:. Labels are for retail-outlets.

Dig into your six-string and its awesome BEADGC strings (or whatever they are on your bass, homes) and I hope you have a great time with it and go far. But you don't consider me "non-Indie/Independent" because I play fivers, right? :bawl: Precisely: You've already got a healthier 'tude than players four times your age.

Best of luck ! :bassist:

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have 7 string basses that are probably older than those "kids". i say kids in quotes because my 7 string fretless is convinced they're not actually human. human beings are -intelligent- enough to know what a bass is.

i tried to convince my bass otherwise, but, you know, he's a teenager.