1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basses only have 4 strings

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Aug 17, 2007.

1. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    who gives a F... what teens think or do. :D

2. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    JESUS CARES!

3. i3ear

i3ear

Aug 26, 2007
    Stayton OR
    hurr ir a teeangur lol bass iz faeld getarrest and olny needs 2 stuhringzzz

Srsly though, I have a 5 string and I do know full whell how many strings a bass can have! (wanting a 15 string myself!)

4. I got a 5-string for my 16th birthday, I'll never buy another four string again.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sez you! I said the same thing, and two years later I bought another 4.

6. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Me too ... tastes change over time.

7. Yea... I am also a bass god.

8. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    Atleast they didnt say what some 15 year old said to me about a year back "Ha ha ha.. well bass is easy it only has 4 strings!"

hmmmmm

9. I don't think so, there's no reason for me to buy another four--unless I decide I want to be a session player, then I'll buy a jazz and a P. But other than that, fives have all I need. As long as I set the strap high enough I can slap without hitting the B string which also acts as a wonderful finger rest when I'm not slapping. I love having tighter string spacing and my four almost seems like a foreign object now. Oh, and the lower notes and higher positions are cool too xD

10. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Fives are comfortable, I'll give you that. I found that a 4 helps me with learning to do more with less, probably one of if not the most important lesson I've ever learned for bass.

11. Haha surronded by guitarists and even some people who don't play anything and i get that daily :scowl:

12. skidrawk

skidrawk

Jan 21, 2007
    Space City, TX
    All your base guitar are belong to us.

13. Ha! That was kind of a smart Alec thing to say, Alec, but +1 anyway. :) Seriously though, I find kids these days pretty smart, my daughter's friends are really up to speed. They're 17 - 19, one drummer, a couple gui****s, a bass player. I can have a good conversation with them anytime about gear and music.

Check my location!!

14. at least one of them isnt a complete idiot

15. It doesn't come near the guy here on talkbass who got a comment from a girl about a Squier being out of tune. She apparently didn't notice that it was a fretless.

16. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I dunno, whenever I've actually heard the words "What's a bass?..." come out of the mouths of some of the teenagers I've played in front of, this doesn't seem so bad.

17. Hey, bass guitar is only 2 letters away from basic guitar so ... :D

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I didn't know there were 5 string basses until about age 50.

Why? I didn't pay any attention, and wasn't actively involved in music between the ages of 25 and 50.

I only played 4-string styles and didn't care about the others. Still don't.

19. EddieN

EddieN

Mar 21, 2007
    If bewildering things a teen says is the topic, well...I was goofing around on a g****r the other day & one of my son's friends says, "You should play that Rock Lobster song from Family Guy." I had to laugh. Oh, silly teen.

20. DistantTremor

DistantTremor

Nov 29, 2007
    It's funny, when my friends from my old high school see pics of me playing bass, they say "Dude, I didn't know you played guitar!!"

Bleh.