1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basses only have 4 strings

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by PaulMacCnj, Aug 17, 2007.

1. I was in a music store checking out the basses. A couple of teenagers walked over and were checking out what was hanging on the wall. One said, "Look a 5 string bass!" The other said, "That can't be. Basses only have 4 strings!" If that wasn't enough, he had to say it again in a different way, "If there are more than 4 strings, it's not a bass!" No I didn't say a word. It wasn't worth it. Besides, the first one finally replied, "Dude! It's all about extended range. You see guitars with 7 strings and you still call them guitars!"

2. ignorant children. :scowl:

thank god im not THAT stupid, 16 yo and i reckon 5 string FTW ;)

3. I just turned sixteen and simultaneously just got a fiver. I'm waiting for the school's resident self-titled "Bass God" (he's really crap, "it's all about three finger rolls, man!") to give me hell over it.

4. going to give you hell over what? the five string bass or turning 16? :bag:

5. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    One thing i remember about playing bass in junior high and High school is being one of the only bassists in school. EVERYONE, as we all discovered, plays guitar in junior/high school. That right there is the main reason that when i myself was only 15, i put down my Peavey Predator and bought an Ibanez TR-505 5 string and haven't put it down since then. Don't let the local "bass clod" (my bad i mean god) get you down. Practice practice practice and when he has ANYTHING to say to you then just show him up. Let him know that there is a new kid in town, and that he is rocking a 5'er.

6. you should carry round a picture of the fretless XII legend, and show them just how many strings a bass can have.

7. jackcregg

jackcregg Guest

Feb 25, 2007
    *reads title*

*reads title again*

*and again*

LIAR!!!!

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Wow, you really take into consideration the bleatings of a teenager? I have two of them and I tune them both out on a regular basis because 50% of what they say is nonsense.

9. MorbidFlorist

MorbidFlorist

Mar 1, 2005
    OMG that Legend XII is absolutely MIND BOTTLING!!! i dont think i would know what to do with that thing

10. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    hahaaahah...makes me wonder why my dad never listened to me at that age...

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And now we know! HAHAHAHA!!!

12. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    You put your mind in a bottle?? That just boggles mine. :eyebrow:

13. jackcregg

jackcregg Guest

Feb 25, 2007
    Stop being teen-ist

Ima teenager and i know there is such a thing as a 5 string base guitar

14. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    Guitar Base. Grammar please :ninja:

15. My 15yo not only knows that 5-string basses exist, he wants one -- no, actually he says he _needs_ one.

Apparently, the lack of said instrument will be crippling his musical development, like, forever! :D

I remember saying similar things to my parents at about the same age about a needing a Gibson Les Paul. I had to make do with an Ibanez SG (still got it too -- great guitar, actually!)

-Mark

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    That one kid needs to listen to his buddy. Sometimes dim folks need to follow the brighter ones around so they can see their way through life. ;)

Cherie

17. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    better get him one then
    better yet, get him a six string
    HAW

18. I had a 5-string bass when I was 16, and wanted one since like a month after I started playing when I was 15. Most teenagers I find aren't that foolish...or maybe we're just smarter in New Brunswick

19. I'm 16 and i think anything with less than 11 strings isn't a bass.... :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
    just kidding of course, but i do love 11 strings.... :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :hyper:

20. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Id just tell them that I think they are in the wrong store.