Basses Stolen in Reading, PA Area

Discussion in 'Lost & Stolen Gear' started by rogerbmiller, Jul 5, 2008.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to put the word out that 4 of my basses were stolen from my mom's house sometime in the past few months. Sadly, I just discovered this. The basses are:

Aria Pro II SB900 trans red
    Aria Pro II SB-R60 trans red
    Aria Pro II RSB
    Fernandes black jazz copy with white pickguard.

Some identifying features:

The SB900 had a replacemernt top know for one of the 2 stacked knowbs. It also had a kent armstrong replacement pickup in the bridge postiion.

The SB-R60 had lots of drillholes in the upper hord and a big gouge from getting dinged.

I am about to file a police report. Can anyone with experience tell me what if anything I can do with my insurance company?

Thanks.

Roger

2. Claim them on your home owners insurance...or something like that. since they were taken from your house they should be covered.

and I'm in Emmaus, right by Allentown. I'll keep my eye out for those basses. I would check the Guitar Center by the Lehigh Valley Mall, Dave Phillips Music and Sound in Allentown, West End Music in Allentown, or your best bet might be the new Kutztown Music Exchange on Main St. in K-Town. Those are all the main music stores around here.

3. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks much for the info and for keeping an eye out. I will call those shops Monday. I reached out to Fred's but that is it. Didn't realize there are so many local places that a thief could go to sell.

Man, this is a bummer. Loved those basses. And one of them had the first strap I ever bought too. Sentimental value to boot. Sigh...

4. really sorry to hear about your basses man =[

if you have any luck let me know

5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks will do.

Have also decided to offer a reward to anyone that can locate the basses or get me any leads if you think you know someone who ended up with them.

In the online world, it would not be a surprise that these end up in California. I can spot them a mile away by the nicks and other quirks, not to mention I have cataloged pics of them all.

6. 3rdBass

3rdBass Funk in A Supporting Member

My heart & stomach took a nose-dive as I read about your loss....:crying:

I was able to recover a stolen guitar (in Scranton, PA) from a local Music Go Round (in Wilkes Barre, PA) by passing out & emailing copies of fliers to all the local stores.
    Your instruments have some identifying pieces/ parts, so include full descriptions with S/N's and photos if possible.
    Try www.screamingstone.com, an excellent national database for stolen gear. They'll list it as well as email all their store contacts. Maybe even www.daddys.com too.

Good luck......

7. Got any pics? I'm in Lancaster County. I can keep an eye out for them down here.

8. BrennP90

BrennP90

Jun 26, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Farther to the west in PA, but will keep an eye out!

Good luck though :crying:

9. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Here are pics of the Aria Pro II SB-R60. Note the multiple drill holes in the upper horn and the big gouge missing. Unfortunately I forgot to photo the serial number but as I recall, it begins with 1, 2 or 3 for 1981, 82, or 83.

Sadly, no actual pics of the other basses. Will upload stock photos soon.

Roger

Attached Files:

10. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    News flash. The bastards who were stealing from my mom's were caught cashing one of her stolen checks.

My basses were pawned at a shop in Shillington and all 4 sold immediately.

If anyone here on TB bought them, please let me know. I will compensate you for returning them. This should be insured.

I am also concerned that these basses are going to end up in the King of Prussia guitar show this weekend.

If anyone sees them, please report this to the police. Detective Fikk in Shillington PA, 610-777-3947.

I am going to post this in regards to the KOP show separately.

11. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    The basses were pawned and purchased at:

Cash Converters
    www.cashconvertersunited.com

510 Kenhorst Plz
    Shillington, PA 19607
    (610) 796-2999

IF THESE STOLEN BASSES ENDED UP WITH ANY TBERS, I WILL REIMBURSE YOUR COSTS IF YOU RETURN THEM TO ME.

Thanks!

12. Glad to hear they were busted. Now I just hope you can get your basses back.

13. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks. I have a bad feeling that they are gone and the guy that bought them knows they are stolen.

Cash Converters paid $200 for all 4 basses. The value of the gig bags.

They then soldthem for a total of $597 to one buyer 3 days later.

Now, in my experience national pawn brokers know how much gear is worth and charge top dollar. This store admittedly has musicians working there. But these guys sold my basses for about 20 cents on the dollar.

Smells like either an inside job (they called a buddy to "buy them") or they just knew they were hot and wanted to move them as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately the buyer paid cash so I cannot track him.

If you see a local musian playing these basses, please let me know. I did ask the pawn shop to ask employees if they recognized the buyer as a regular. I have offered to pay him back his money, no questions asked.

14. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I found the serial number to my SB900! See pic attached. SN is 2041418.

Attached Files:

15. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Wow, sorry to hear about the thefts. It sucks that there are people who are dishonest about things like this. I have never bought anything from a pawn shop (only even been to a cash converters once in NJ and they had nothing). I have friends though who have purchased laptops and other items they know are stolen, and I don't want to hear about it. I have been told, "Well, it was already stolen, so what's the harm?" Karma....
    A few months ago my wife's wallet was stolen in the mall, and 10 minutes later a 376.00 charge at best buy, another 5 minutes later 288 at toys r us, and they were never caught. We live paycheck to paycheck (and not even that really!) and even though we got the money back eventually it made for a tense few days wondering if the mortgage check would bounce. The thing I wanted to do most was find who stole it and just ask Do you understand the problems this caused for a family who is already struggling?" Well, I hope whoever bought the Wii that was probably charged to us is happy with it. Unfortunately it seems that there is far too little understanding of consequences of actions in this day and age, and I don't even mean legal consequences. I hope you get the basses back because it is right. Hopefully no one was hurt more and I hope it all works out.

16. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks.

I once had my credit card stolen and the guy who stole it charged over $9k all in toys and gifts (around the holidays). No matter how tough times can be, I could NEVER give my children stolen things. Karma indeed.

Sorry to hear about your story.

The folks who did this to me were caught, admitted everything, and are being prsecuted to the fullest. I am also seriously considering filing civil charges. This was such a violation, I feel compelled to teach these people a hard lesson.

17. I would definitely take them to civil court over this. Then, even if you don't get the basses back, you'll get some compensation. It's not the same but it's better than nothing.

18. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    ***?

19. sixway

sixway

Aug 20, 2006
    Kailua, Hawaii
    Man, I hope there is some way to prosecute the pawn shop for this. Sounds like they knew they were hot, and unloaded them very quickly.

Did you ever file a police report? And is there some sort of law that pawn shops have to follow before buying items? Regardless of the buyer paying cash, it seems to me there should be a statute that requires the pawn shop to record the buyer's address, and hopefully their drivers license ID #. And if there isn't, there should be!

Tried looking for your bass on eBay... but not much luck. Would you mind giving detailed descriptions of your basses so we can spot them easily and let you know if they come up through ebay, Craigslist, etc?

The one pic of your bass makes me bummed.... it's such a good looking axe... would be great (fantasy?) if this is the last straw for this particular pawn shop, and there license is pulled....

Good luck to you for their return....

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021